Newborn girl left to die on street in Karachi
The girl, believed to be no more than one day old, was left to die on the road.
"Around 2.30 am. I was sitting with my friends. Suddenly strange noises started coming. Dogs started barking. I don't have words to describe what I saw after reaching the point," said one of the witnesses.
"She was crying and literally mumbling on wounds on her body."
Chhipa was called to rescue the newborn girl. The girl was shifted to the JPMC child ward where she is reportedly in severe condition.
Discrimination against girls through abortion and infanticide is an open secret of Pakistani society.
The Edhi Foundation, Pakistan's largest welfare agency, says the number of dead babies its ambulances pick up has increased by almost 20 percent each year since 2010. Chhipa Welfare Association and the Aman Foundation have reported similar increases.
Experts have noted that increasing costs of living have also led to the increase in female infanticide in the urbanised Karachi that continues to face new complex problems.
- 81 students test positive for coronavirus in Punjab06:17 PM | 23 Sep, 2020
- GB Legislative Assembly elections to be held on November 1504:00 PM | 23 Sep, 2020
- Two Pakistani soldiers martyred in India firing at LoC03:52 PM | 23 Sep, 2020
- Tapsee Pannu defends Anurag Kashyap against sexual harassment ...03:43 PM | 23 Sep, 2020
- 'Pakistan plans sending 100,000 skilled workers to Kuwait'03:24 PM | 23 Sep, 2020
- Mahira Khan looks flawless in latest pictures03:23 PM | 23 Sep, 2020
- Khalid Ahmad wins Best Actor Award at Harlem International Film Fest02:27 PM | 23 Sep, 2020
- You’re not exactly Mother Teresa: Shaniera Akram takes a dig at ...01:25 PM | 23 Sep, 2020
- Pakistan terms Kashmir, Palestine disputes as UN's most long-standing ...11:18 AM | 22 Sep, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020