‘Donald Trump - President of the Divided States of America’ is Time’s Person of the Year 2016
“It’s a great honor. It means a lot,” Mr. Trump said in a telephone interview on NBC’s “Today” show yesterday.
The President-elect also took issue with the “Divided States of America” description: “I didn’t divide ‘em,” he said. “We’re going to put it back together and we’re going to have a country that’s very well-healed.”
The choice of Trump this year was “straightforward”, Ms. Gibbs said on the programme, adding that Democrat Hillary Clinton was the No. 2 finalist.
"A lot of people think that Person of the Year, just because of the nature of the name, is an honor, and certainly there have been years where we have recognized people whose influence has been altogether unassailably worthy," Gibbs added.
"Normally that's not the case. I know there are a lot of people who disagree with so much of what Donald Trump said and are very apprehensive about what his presidency means for them and for the country. I think i would challenge them to suggest that someone else this year had more influence and in a way a greater surprise than what he did in 2016."
“When have we ever seen a single individual who has so defied expectations, broken the rules, violated norms, beaten not one but two political parties on the way to winning an election that he entered with 100-to-1 odds against him?” Ms. Gibbs said while referring to Donald Trump, who would assume Oval Office next year.
- T20 World Cup: Curtis Campher shines as Ireland beat Netherlands11:45 PM | 18 Oct, 2021
- Five Saudi cadets graduate from Pakistan Air Force Academy11:27 PM | 18 Oct, 2021
- PM Imran to visit Saudi Arabia this week10:34 PM | 18 Oct, 2021
- DG ISI briefs COAS Bajwa on internal security, Afghanistan08:37 PM | 18 Oct, 2021
- Atif Aslam pays tribute to late Farhad Humayun with iconic song06:00 PM | 18 Oct, 2021
- Ertugrul star Esra Bilgic in search of Pakistani NGOs05:00 PM | 18 Oct, 2021
- Priyanka Chopra goes scuba diving in Spain (VIDEO)05:25 PM | 18 Oct, 2021
- Pakistani celebrities who passed away in 202102:00 PM | 17 Oct, 2021
- India falls to 101 in Global Hunger Index 2021, 9 ranks below Pakistan10:54 AM | 16 Oct, 2021
- Celebrity deaths in 202111:59 PM | 12 Oct, 2021
- Hollywood stars with surprising hidden talents07:11 PM | 13 Sep, 2021