Red warrants for Altaf
A London-based Pakistani barrister who has Extradition and International Crime defence as one of his areas of practice has the following to say in this regard:
Every now and then some babu tries to move the summary to get AH through INTERPOL. I always thought bureaucrats are an educated lot.
1. AH is a British citizen.
2. There is no extradition treaty. (Between UK and Pakistan)
3. International police can only ask British police. (To arrest AH and hand him over to Interpol for extradition to Pakistan)
4. The police never arrests in the absence of a treaty (extradition) or one off mutual agreement. (between any two countries)
5. AH abroad can be served Red Warrants but order of the (British) court is mandatory.
6. No court orders extradition if the sentence is death. (which in the case of a murder trial is quite possible)
Can someone inform Ch Nisar to end this charade that adds to our ever growing disrepute and ineptness in almost all other departments of rule.
Col.Riaz Jafri (Retd)
February 8th, 2017.
- Pakistan’s Taekwondo star Maham Aftab dies of brain tumour at age ...11:25 PM | 23 Oct, 2020
- Terror threats — Balochistan govt asks PDM to cancel Quetta rally10:49 PM | 23 Oct, 2020
- PCB relocates scheduled PSL, Zimbabwe matches from smog-hit Lahore09:48 PM | 23 Oct, 2020
- Raoof Hassan replaces Asim Saleem Bajwa as PM’s special assistant ...08:32 PM | 23 Oct, 2020
- PM Imran vows to bring Nawaz Sharif back from UK at all costs08:19 PM | 23 Oct, 2020
- IN PICTURES: 5 of the most expensive Pakistani weddings of all times03:33 PM | 23 Oct, 2020
- 5 fall wardrobe essentials every woman needs02:00 PM | 23 Oct, 2020
- Unfinished: Priyanka Chopra completes her memoir11:22 AM | 23 Oct, 2020
- Turkish Airlines fined for violating SOPs in Pakistan02:42 PM | 23 Oct, 2020
- PDM rally venue changed in Quetta over security threats02:05 PM | 23 Oct, 2020
- Five killed as bus catches fire near Khuzdar12:07 PM | 23 Oct, 2020
- PML-N leader’s secret meeting upsets Nawaz11:45 AM | 23 Oct, 2020