A Mother's love? - Daughter lured home, burnt alive for marrying by choice
The victim Zeenat Rafiq, aged 17, was admitted to hospital this week, where she told doctors that her mother Parveen Rafiq and brother Ahmar Rafiq set her on fire for marrying against their will. The incident took place in the Factory area jurisdiction on Tuesday.
Zeenat had earlier married a man named Hassan seven days ago. Soon after, her family lured her back home with the promise of holding a traditional wedding reception for the newlyweds. Instead, the family allegedly burned her alive.
Police have detained Parveen, the victim's mother, and started looking into her involvement in the incident. Preliminary investigation have pointed to honor killing, police said.
Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif has taken notice of the incident and has sought a report from the Capital City Police Officer Lahore.
Hundreds of women are murdered in Pakistan each year in cases of domestic violence or on the grounds of defending family “honor”.
The Aurat Foundation, a campaign group that works to improve the lives of women in Pakistan’s, says that more than 3,000 women have been killed in such attacks since 2008.
- Experts say one of four elephants in Pakistan needs urgent surgery11:55 PM | 30 Nov, 2021
- Pakistan to host OIC foreign ministers’ meeting on Afghanistan on ...11:25 PM | 30 Nov, 2021
- Vernon Philander pens heartfelt good-bye message for Pakistan team10:56 PM | 30 Nov, 2021
- Petroleum prices in Pakistan to remain unchanged in December10:19 PM | 30 Nov, 2021
- Indian actress Ameesha Patel booked in cheque bounce case06:39 PM | 30 Nov, 2021
- Mahira Khan receives flak for glorifying emotionally abusive ...04:06 PM | 30 Nov, 2021
- Deepika Padukone stuns in a gorgeous saree by Pakistani designer04:58 PM | 30 Nov, 2021