Hosni Mubarak sentenced to 3 years imprisonment over corruption
The corruption case — dubbed by the Egyptian media as the "presidential palaces" affair — concerns charges that Mubarak and his two sons embezzled millions of dollars' worth of state funds over the course of a decade. The funds were meant to pay for renovating and maintaining presidential palaces but were instead allegedly spent on upgrading the family's private residences.
Mubarak was sentenced to three years, his sons to four in the case. He later appealed, sparking the retrial.
Supporters shouted in anger as Judge Hassan Hassanin announced his verdict. A lawyer for Mubarak said the judge's decision can be appealed.
It wasn't immediately clear whether it will include time he's already served since his country's 2011 revolt.
- J&K – India approves to build power project on Chenab River in ...02:04 PM | 23 Jan, 2021
- Wuhan returns to normal as world still battling pandemic01:31 PM | 23 Jan, 2021
- UN advises staff not to travel on Pakistan-registered airlines01:13 PM | 23 Jan, 2021
- Caught on cam: Women thieves shoplift jewellery in Hafizabad (VIDEO)12:44 PM | 23 Jan, 2021
- Bilawal House announces schedule for Bakhtawar-Mahmood wedding05:32 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- WATCH – Sara Ali Khan swings into the weekend with style in Maldives03:56 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- Pakistanis plan an ‘Urdu Mushaira’ outside Islamabad café as ...03:34 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- Hollywood's top female celebs who lift weights to stay fit02:36 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- Here's how world leaders responded to Biden's inauguration as POTUS07:24 PM | 21 Jan, 2021
- Stars who turned down plastic surgery07:32 PM | 17 Jan, 2021
- Stars who dated in the past11:38 PM | 5 Jan, 2021