China officially joins WHO-led COVAX program
BEIJING - China has officially joined the World Health Organization-led COVID-19 Vaccine Global Access (COVAX) Facility.
Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said on Friday, COVAX is co-led by the WHO, Gavi vaccine alliance and the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations. It is part of the Access to COVID-19 Tools (ACT) Accelerator under the WHO auspices to bring together vaccine developers from different countries in a common quest for a safe COVID-19 vaccine.
"On October 8, China and the Gavi global alliance signed an agreement on the official accession to COVAX. This is an important step, which has been made by China as part of its promises to make COVID-19 vaccine a public good for the whole world," Hua said in a statement.
The World Health Organization (WHO) declared the COVID-19 outbreak a pandemic on March 11.
To date, more than 36.3 million people have been infected with the coronavirus worldwide, with over 1.05 million fatalities.
- ‘Dirty Arabs, Go Home’ – Muslim women stabbed at Eiffel Tower ...06:28 PM | 21 Oct, 2020
- Deport Nawaz Sharif, Pakistan to UK06:14 PM | 21 Oct, 2020
- Pakistan asks Afghanistan for proper management after stampede deaths05:45 PM | 21 Oct, 2020
- Beaconhouse Group partners with Teach For Pakistan for ending ...05:29 PM | 21 Oct, 2020
- Guardians of Velayat Sky-99: Iran kicks off large-scale aerial ...04:58 PM | 21 Oct, 2020
- Fast & Furious franchise soon to reach the finish line!03:24 PM | 21 Oct, 2020
- Imran Abbas meets Ertugrul star Cem Uçan in Turkey02:23 PM | 21 Oct, 2020
- Shahid Afridi celebrates 20 years of marriage01:17 PM | 21 Oct, 2020
- At least five killed, 20 injured in explosion near Karachi's Maskan ...10:27 AM | 21 Oct, 2020
- India bars Zimbabwe head coach from travelling to Pakistan03:08 PM | 20 Oct, 2020
- PM Imran Khan enjoyed PDM’s rallies, says Faisal Javed01:12 PM | 20 Oct, 2020
- SC commission to look after Bahria Town funds11:27 AM | 20 Oct, 2020