‘IMF stands ready to support Pakistan,’ says Cristine Lagarde after meeting PM Imran
“I had a good and constructive meeting with Prime Minister Khan, during which we discussed recent economic developments and prospects for Pakistan in the context of ongoing discussions toward an IMF-supported program.
Prime Minister @ImranKhanPTI met with Ms. Christine Lagarde, Managing Director of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) on the sidelines of the World Government Summit in Dubai. pic.twitter.com/jiPplDPqLv— PTV News (@PTVNewsOfficial) February 10, 2019
“I reiterated that the IMF stands ready to support Pakistan. I also highlighted that decisive policies and a strong package of economic reforms would enable Pakistan to restore the resilience of its economy and lay the foundations for stronger and more inclusive growth. As emphasized in the new government’s policy agenda, protecting the poor and strengthening governance are key priorities to improve people’s living standards in a sustainable manner,” the IMF statement read.
Earlier, Information Minister Fawad Chaudhry said the Khan-Lagarde meeting would "give us a chance to understand the IMF views and we will be able to give our version to IMF chief", Radio Pakistan reported. Chaudhry claimed that Pakistan wants "a fair deal that can actually help Pakistan in the short-term without affecting our long-term economic goals".
On Sunday evening, PM Imran Khan addressed the 7th edition of the WGS ─ an annual gathering of heads of states and governments, policy makers and experts. The summit will provide an opportunity to discuss improvement in governance through reform, innovation and technology.
- IHC orders removal of ex-ISI chief Durrani’s name from ECL04:53 PM | 4 Mar, 2021
- Twitter reacts to #PSL 2021 suspension04:25 PM | 4 Mar, 2021
- PM Imran nominates Sadiq Sanjrani for Senate Chairmanship03:56 PM | 4 Mar, 2021
- Journalist Saadia Afzaal drops major clue about ‘marriage’ with ...03:30 PM | 4 Mar, 2021
- Pakistan Army, ISI chiefs discuss national security with PM Imran02:53 PM | 4 Mar, 2021
- Rakhi Sawant and brother Rakesh accused of fraud02:22 PM | 4 Mar, 2021
- Mahira Khan faces backlash for supporting Mera Jism Meri Marzi slogan02:05 PM | 4 Mar, 2021
- Deepika Padukone and Tiger Shroff accused of plagiarism07:21 PM | 3 Mar, 2021
- 10 celebrities who are left-handed05:11 PM | 28 Feb, 2021
- Pakistan up three places to 105th spot in EIU's 2020 Democracy Index11:13 AM | 7 Feb, 2021
- 5 famous personalities who were banned from social media06:51 PM | 3 Feb, 2021
- Hollywood's top female celebs who lift weights to stay fit02:36 PM | 22 Jan, 2021