Syria ‘chemical’ attack: G7 nations fail to agree on Russia sanctions
During a meeting in capital city of Rome on Tuesday, Foreign ministers were seeking a common position on the Syrian conflict, before the US secretary of state flies to Russia to try to persuade it to abandon its Syrian ally, the BBC reported.
But proposals to target sanctions at senior military leaders were sidelined.
US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson has strongly criticised Russia for failing to prevent Syria from carrying out the chemical attack on the rebel-held town of Khan Sheikhoun last Wednesday that left 89 people dead.
Only a day after the strikes, two US Navy destroyers in the Mediterranean Sea fired 59 Tomahawk cruise missiles at Shayrat airfield in western Homs province at about 04:40 Syrian time (01:40 GMT).
They targeted aircraft, aircraft shelters, storage areas, ammunition supply bunkers and air defence systems at the Syrian government-controlled facility, according to the Pentagon.
At least four soldiers were killed while some children and other people were injured by shards of breaking glass.
Russia reacted angrily to last week's US missile strike on Syria, condemning it as an "act of aggression". Yet Moscow is happy to host the US secretary of state who will meet his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov, later on Tuesday, and a meeting with President Putin cannot be ruled out.
The diplomacy in the Italian town of Lucca follows the latest apparent use of chemical weapons in Syria.
He declared the talks "a political success".
The Group of 7 (G7) is a group consisting of Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the United Kingdom, and the United States. The European Union is also represented within the G7. These countries are the seven major advanced economies as reported by the International Monetary Fund: the G7 countries represent more than 64% of the net global wealth ($263 trillion).
- Private schools in KP reopened after five months closure12:14 PM | 15 Aug, 2020
- Toshakhana reference: Nawaz challenges NAB's summoning in IHC11:37 AM | 15 Aug, 2020
- COAS, Bill Gates discuss Pakistan's Covid-19 response, resumption of ...10:59 AM | 15 Aug, 2020
- FBR directed to stop menace of fake and flying invoices10:10 AM | 15 Aug, 2020
- Kashmiris observing India’s independence day as Black Day across ...09:28 AM | 15 Aug, 2020
- Momina Mustehsan, Muneeb Butt call out Kangana Ranaut for spreading ...05:43 PM | 14 Aug, 2020
- FIR lodged against Saba Qamar and Bilal Saeed05:09 PM | 14 Aug, 2020
- Abida Parveen, Ali Zafar and Humayun Saeed among others honoured ...04:39 PM | 14 Aug, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020