Syria ‘chemical’ attack: G7 nations fail to agree on Russia sanctions
During a meeting in capital city of Rome on Tuesday, Foreign ministers were seeking a common position on the Syrian conflict, before the US secretary of state flies to Russia to try to persuade it to abandon its Syrian ally, the BBC reported.
But proposals to target sanctions at senior military leaders were sidelined.
US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson has strongly criticised Russia for failing to prevent Syria from carrying out the chemical attack on the rebel-held town of Khan Sheikhoun last Wednesday that left 89 people dead.
Only a day after the strikes, two US Navy destroyers in the Mediterranean Sea fired 59 Tomahawk cruise missiles at Shayrat airfield in western Homs province at about 04:40 Syrian time (01:40 GMT).
They targeted aircraft, aircraft shelters, storage areas, ammunition supply bunkers and air defence systems at the Syrian government-controlled facility, according to the Pentagon.
At least four soldiers were killed while some children and other people were injured by shards of breaking glass.
Russia reacted angrily to last week's US missile strike on Syria, condemning it as an "act of aggression". Yet Moscow is happy to host the US secretary of state who will meet his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov, later on Tuesday, and a meeting with President Putin cannot be ruled out.
The diplomacy in the Italian town of Lucca follows the latest apparent use of chemical weapons in Syria.
He declared the talks "a political success".
The Group of 7 (G7) is a group consisting of Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the United Kingdom, and the United States. The European Union is also represented within the G7. These countries are the seven major advanced economies as reported by the International Monetary Fund: the G7 countries represent more than 64% of the net global wealth ($263 trillion).
- Synergyzer On Bringing Pakistan’s Advertising, Marketing & Media ...04:58 AM | 8 May, 2021
- Sindh announces to hire 37,000 teachers11:44 PM | 7 May, 2021
- ‘No hugs and kisses this eid,’ Firdous Ashiq Awan to public amid ...11:03 PM | 7 May, 2021
- Infinix tipped to launch Note 10 Pro with MediaTek Helio G9510:48 PM | 7 May, 2021
- KPK launches mobile vaccination drive for elderly citizens10:32 PM | 7 May, 2021
- Sania Mirza surprises everyone on show Jeeto Pakistan League (VIDEO)06:46 PM | 7 May, 2021
- Ali Rehman Khan celebrates 33rd birthday in style04:19 PM | 7 May, 2021
- Prince William, Duchess Kate launch their own YouTube channel02:16 PM | 7 May, 2021
- 10 Tips for Success during the Last Ashra of Ramadan08:26 PM | 7 May, 2021
- Stars who have insured their body parts07:06 PM | 4 May, 2021
- Best-dressed Stars at Oscars Red Carpet 202105:52 PM | 2 May, 2021
- Tips to follow when walking for weight loss08:11 PM | 29 Apr, 2021