Beijing plans to build 10,000ft deep underwater lab in South China Sea
If successful, this will be the first project for long-term human habitation at such depths, the Bloomberg reports.
"The deep sea contains treasures that remain undiscovered and undeveloped, and in order to obtain these treasures we have to control key technologies in getting into the deep sea, discovering the deep sea, and developing it," Chinese President Xi Jinping told reporters last month at a national science conference.
The South China Sea is an area disputed between Asian countries, including China, Brunei, Malaysia, the Philippines, Vietnam and others.
China’s claim is the biggest, and Beijing is propping it up by creating artificial islands, which have inflamed tensions with neighbors and the United States.
However, while Washington accuses Beijing of constructing the islands for military purposes, China has demanded US warships and military aircraft stay away from the islands, which the latter has refused.
- Former US envoy Dr Asad Majeed appointed foreign secretary03:02 PM | 2 Dec, 2022
- 'A tragedy': For the first time, Rabi Pirzada talks about her leaked ...02:22 PM | 2 Dec, 2022
- PM Shehbaz approves early retirement of Lt Gen Faiz Hameed01:53 PM | 2 Dec, 2022
- Election process and football activities making rapid progress in ...01:29 PM | 2 Dec, 2022
- Shehnaaz Gill shares romantic photos with Vicky Kaushal09:22 PM | 1 Dec, 2022
- Shah Rukh Khan spotted performing Umrah08:31 PM | 1 Dec, 2022
- Timeline of Pakistan Army Generals during country’s 75 year-long ...10:28 AM | 29 Nov, 2022
- Only two Pakistani universities make it to Asia’s top 10003:15 PM | 10 Nov, 2022
- Pakistanis named among 'The World's Most Influential 500 Muslims'10:16 PM | 2 Nov, 2022
- Shehbaz Sharif, Imran Khan, Gen Bajwa named among world’s 500 most ...10:36 PM | 1 Nov, 2022