Budget 2019-20: Federal govt proposes flat tax on cigarettes, soft drinks
ISLAMABAD – The federal government has decided to impose a flat tax on all cigarette packets and soft drinks in a bid to plug a gaping budget deficit and discourage tobacco consumption in the South Asian country, the document from the cabinet division show.
Budget 2019-20: All you need to know about new ... 09:58 PM | 11 Jun, 2019
ISLAMABAD – The federal government on Tuesday unveiled its first budget for the next fiscal year, with several tax ...
Cigarette prices in Pakistan are very low as compared to the rest of the world, which underscores the health risks. The government estimates tobacco kills more than 100,000 people a year. A government survey in 2014 found some 24 million adults, or 19pc of the population 15 and older, used tobacco.
Tobacco has been a big source of revenue with previous governments keeping prices low to maximise tax returns. It is expected that the tax will generate around 50 billion rupees ($337.84 million), which the government say will be earmarked for the health sector development over and above its routine budgetary allocation.
The Finance Bill will also include measures to check illegal manufacturing and illicit trade of cigarettes and other tobacco products.
PTI unveils its first federal budget for FY2019-20 05:24 PM | 11 Jun, 2019
ISLAMABAD - Minister of State for Revenue Hammad Azhar on Tuesday unveiled the federal budget for the fiscal year ...
- I take a break whenever the noise in my head reaches its peak: Zaira ...11:27 AM | 1 Jun, 2020
- Pakistan summons senior Indian envoy over expulsion of 2 officials on ...11:21 AM | 1 Jun, 2020
- Students of grade 1-12 will be promoted without taking exams: Sindh ...10:52 AM | 1 Jun, 2020
- Pakistan surpasses 72,460 cases of coronavirus – 1,5 43 confirmed ...10:10 AM | 1 Jun, 2020
- Pakistan has cheapest fuel cost in South Asia, says PM Iman11:56 PM | 31 May, 2020
- Shahroz Sabzwari, Sadaf Kanwal tie the knot amid COVID-1908:09 PM | 31 May, 2020
- Raising a daughter is a huge responsibility: Humaima Malick05:08 PM | 30 May, 2020
- Zaira Wasim deactivates social media accounts over trolling03:41 PM | 30 May, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020