'International Day of the Girl Child' being observed today
This year's theme for the day is "Girls' Progress = Goals' Progress: What Counts for Girls" with girls’ progress based on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
The day aims at raising awareness of gender inequality worldwide, including areas such as right to education, nutrition, legal rights, medical care, and protection from discrimination, violence and child marriage.
The day also provides an opportunity to recognize how girls’ progress is good not only for girls, but also for families, communities and society at large.
The day was first celebrated on October 11, 2012, after the United Nations General Assembly voted to pass a resolution in favoure on December 19, 2011.
The idea to observe the International Day of the Girl Child grew out of Plan International's "Because I Am a Girl" campaign, which raises awareness of the importance of nurturing girls globally and in developing countries in particular.
- Pakistan lifts import ban on non-essential, luxury items on IMF demand04:44 PM | 18 Aug, 2022
- BTS makes history with 70 million YouTube subscribers04:16 PM | 18 Aug, 2022
- Alizeh Shah looks ethereal in latest snap03:14 PM | 18 Aug, 2022
- Pakistan ranks second worst on gender inequality10:55 PM | 13 Jul, 2022
- Pakistani celebrities who are performing Hajj 202210:16 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Films releasing in Pakistan on Eidul Adha 202211:51 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Pakistan’s largest city Karachi still among world’s least ...06:26 PM | 23 Jun, 2022