Zika virus likely to affect Asia, says WHO
Scores of Zika cases have already surfaced in Singapore whereas Thailand also registered two Zika related cases. The mosquito-borne virus has been detected in 70 countries worldwide, at least 19 in the Asia Pacific region.
WHO director Margaret Chan said experts were still looking for ways to deal with the virus.
"Unfortunately, scientists do not yet have answers to many critical questions," she said.
Zika generally has mild effects but is more dangerous for expecting women as it has been linked to severe birth defects, including the brain deformation microcephaly. The virus has existed in Asia for decades, but the latest large-scale outbreak originated in Brazil.
According to a health expert the most common symptoms of Zika virus diseases are fever, rashes, joint pains and conjunctivitis (red eyes). The illness is usually mild with symptoms lasting for a week to several days. There is no vaccine to prevent or medicine to treat Zika.
A member of GOARN said, “Keeping in view the presence of Zika mosquitoes in the country, the health sector is on high alert and has been urged to devise a strategy for its possible appearance and spread in the country.”
- Seven family members go missing after car swept away by flood in Sindh11:32 AM | 18 Aug, 2022
- Covid-19: Pakistan reports 578 news cases, two deaths in last 24 hours10:46 AM | 18 Aug, 2022
- #Islamabad police get #ShahbazGill’s custody after hours-long ...09:16 AM | 18 Aug, 2022
- PAKvNED – Pakistan take on Netherlands in second ODI today08:44 AM | 18 Aug, 2022
- Maria B lauds Lahore school for removing trans activist Dr Mehrub ...09:56 PM | 17 Aug, 2022
- Meera shares 'words of wisdom' with fans09:06 PM | 17 Aug, 2022
- Naseebo Lal rocks the audience at US concert08:44 PM | 17 Aug, 2022
- Pakistan ranks second worst on gender inequality10:55 PM | 13 Jul, 2022
- Pakistani celebrities who are performing Hajj 202210:16 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Films releasing in Pakistan on Eidul Adha 202211:51 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Pakistan’s largest city Karachi still among world’s least ...06:26 PM | 23 Jun, 2022