Indian Dalit killed merely for owning horse
According to police, the horse is a symbol of power and wealth and such display of authority by a low-caste Indian, who worked on the land, invited the wrath of locals.
The body of 21-year-old Pradeep Rathod was found in a pool of blood near Timbi village a few metres away from the horse, which also met the same fate.
The police have detained three upper caste men for interrogation, on the identification of Rathod's father, Kalubhai, who, in his application stated that his son loved horses and he had bought him one eight months ago.
The distraught father stated that his son's love for horses led to his murder as people from Dalit community are not allowed to ride horses.
"About a week ago, when I was riding the horse with my son, one of the persons from the upper caste Kshatriya (warrior) community warned us not to ride the horse in the village," he claimed and added that they were also threatened to be killed if we did not sell the horse.
Meanwhile, Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah lashed out at the BJP for the Dalit youth’s murder.
Shocking inhumanity towards Dalits in Gujarat!— Siddaramaiah (@siddaramaiah) March 31, 2018
Yet, a certain Gujarati gentleman comes here with a bag full of #Jumlas & promises heaven to Dalits. If they question him, they are branded as Cong goons.
Kannadigas will not make the mistake of trusting this #ShahOfLies. https://t.co/QQvmpO2fok
"Shocking inhumanity towards Dalits in Gujarat!," he said in his tweet.
The incident though seems shocking is reminiscent of social disparity and imperialism in 'world's largest democratic', however, such incidents have happened in past as well.
Last October, a Dalit man was killed merely for attending a traditional Hindu dance performance in the same Gujarat area, which is ironically the home state of Indian premier Narendra Modi.
Dalits, who lie at the bottom of India's deeply entrenched social fabric, have long faced discrimination and attacks.
- China directs pharma companies to accelerate export of Covid-19 ...11:59 AM | 23 Jan, 2021
- PIA pays $7mn for impounded jet in Malaysia11:17 AM | 23 Jan, 2021
- WATCH – Rawalpindi youngster hit to death by train while shooting ...10:39 AM | 23 Jan, 2021
- Pakistan Army Chief, Acting US Chargé d' Affaires discuss Pak-US ...10:04 AM | 23 Jan, 2021
- Pakistan reports 43 Covid-19 deaths, 1,927 new infections in past 24 ...09:32 AM | 23 Jan, 2021
- WATCH – Sara Ali Khan swings into the weekend with style in Maldives03:56 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- Pakistanis plan an ‘Urdu Mushaira’ outside Islamabad café as ...03:34 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- Cannoli café manager gets job offers from Shahbaz Taseer and Karak ...05:59 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- Hollywood's top female celebs who lift weights to stay fit02:36 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- Here's how world leaders responded to Biden's inauguration as POTUS07:24 PM | 21 Jan, 2021
- Stars who turned down plastic surgery07:32 PM | 17 Jan, 2021
- Stars who dated in the past11:38 PM | 5 Jan, 2021