Country's wheat demand reaches 25 million tons, Senate told
During question hour in the Upper House, the minister said the government has increased regulatory duty on the import of wheat from 10 to 60 percent during the last three years to discourage import because wheat price is lower in some countries.
To another question, he said that livestock wing with its redefined role under 18th Constitutional amendment took several measures at national level to protect livestock from various diseases.
The minister said that livestock disease diagnostic laboratories, Veterinary Research Institutes (VRIs) and field hospitals of provincial livestock departments have been strengthened in terms of capacity facility, manpower and services to reduce economical losses in livestock due to diseases.
He said the organizations were providing diagnosis treatment and vaccination services to livestock farmers.
Provincial livestock departments have established a helpline for the farmers for consultation on animal health issues.
Sikandar Hayat said a Bio-Safety three level laboratory was established at National Reference Laboratory for Poultry Diseases (NRLPD), Animal Science Institute, National Agricultural Research Centre (NARC), Islamabad, which was providing diagnostic services for various poultry diseases.
He said keeping in view the seasonal incidence of diseases, prophylactic vaccination schedules have been developed to control endemic livestock diseases such as Hemorrhagic Septicemia, Foot and Mouth, PPR, Ranikhet, Gumboro etc.
The minister said that vaccination campaigns are launched from time to time for awareness of the livestock farmers in order to protect livestock from diseases.
He said facilities and capacities developed under various national projects helped to control and eradicate Rinderpest disease of cattle and bird flu disease of poultry from the country.
"Pakistan has got rid of bird flu disease in June 2008. Rinderpest disease in May 2007 and maintaining these statuses till date. Moreover, Pakistan has achieved FMD Progressive Control Pathway (PCP) Stage-2 out of EU FMD 5-staged pathway under recent concluded National Program on Foot and Mouth Disease (FMD) control," he added.
- Taliban delegation begins talks with Western officials, rights ...11:52 PM | 23 Jan, 2022
- Over 22,000 government officers in Pakistan are dual national: Report11:05 PM | 23 Jan, 2022
- South Africa clean sweep ODI series against India10:56 PM | 23 Jan, 2022
- Turkey launching 50 new development projects in Pakistan this year10:17 PM | 23 Jan, 2022
- British lawmaker claims she was removed as minister over 'Muslimness'09:32 PM | 23 Jan, 2022
- Asim Azhar wishes Merub Ali on her birthday04:19 PM | 23 Jan, 2022
- Mawra Hocane spills the beans on her wedding plans03:00 PM | 23 Jan, 2022
- Hina Altaf’s father passes away08:39 PM | 22 Jan, 2022
- Who has scored most runs in Pakistan Super League? Here’s list of ...01:52 PM | 15 Jan, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in world's most powerful passport list in ...11:27 AM | 13 Jan, 2022
- Pakistan’s Top News Moments of 202110:47 PM | 31 Dec, 2021
- Famous Figures We Lost in 202107:03 PM | 31 Dec, 2021