Italy train crash leaves 20 dead, 50 injured
Emergency services raced to extract people from the wreckage of smashed carriages thrown across a single track into olive groves near the town of Andria, in what one witness described as an “apocalyptic scene”.
Coffins were taken to the site near the city of Bari to carry away the first of the dead as 200 rescue workers sifted through the wreckage in temperatures reaching 40 degrees Celsius (104 degrees Fahrenheit) “I saw dead people, others who were begging for help, people crying. The worst scene of my life,” one policeman told journalists.
Vito Montanaro, director general of the Bari health authority, said 20 people had died and 35 were injured, 18 of them critically.
“It was an enormous accident, a very violent crash,” said Transport Minister Graziano Delrio, who arrived on at the scene along with two ministry inspectors to aid the investigation.
The collision happened on a bend in the track in open countryside and flung the front carriages of both trains into olive groves bordering the line, slinging bits of metal from the wreckage.
- PSL6, Match 7, Lahore vs Multan - Live Score and Live Updates02:00 PM | 26 Feb, 2021
- PM Imran arrives in Lahore on day-long visit01:42 PM | 26 Feb, 2021
- Ogra recommends Rs20.7/litre hike In Petrol price01:07 PM | 26 Feb, 2021
- Camon 16 Pro – Another Photography King of Camon Series is launched ...12:39 PM | 26 Feb, 2021
- ‘Ghabrana Nahi Hai’ – Kashif Zameer reassures Pakistanis of ...11:49 PM | 25 Feb, 2021
- Dil Na Umeed Toh Nahi – A gripping plot about social evils09:42 PM | 25 Feb, 2021
- Ali Xeeshan and wife Myra welcome first baby06:36 PM | 25 Feb, 2021
- Pakistan up three places to 105th spot in EIU's 2020 Democracy Index11:13 AM | 7 Feb, 2021
- 5 famous personalities who were banned from social media06:51 PM | 3 Feb, 2021
- Hollywood's top female celebs who lift weights to stay fit02:36 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- Here's how world leaders responded to Biden's inauguration as POTUS07:24 PM | 21 Jan, 2021