Facebook, Twitter, Google, others invited for consultation on Pakistan's new social media rules
ISLAMABAD - Pakistan Telecom Authority (PTA) has sent an invitation to Asia Internet Coalition (AIC), which consists of Google, Facebook, and other tech giants, to attend the ongoing consultation process over Citizens Protection (Against Online Harm) Rules, 2020.
“In a formal letter written to the Managing Director of AIC, Chairman PTA invited AIC and its members for a consultative face to face or video conferencing meeting with the Committee during the coming week,” said a press release.
The new regulatory rules, which introduces guidelines for tech giants about content regulation, were criticised by the AIC.
The AIC, in February, expressed reservations over the rules and threatened that services in Pakistan will be suspended it the new laws were not revised by the government.
In an official statement, the AIC said: “…we wish to express our sincere concern that unless revoked, these rules will severely cripple the growth of Pakistan's digital economy”.
It added, “In fact, the rules as currently written would make it extremely difficult for AIC Members to make their services available to Pakistani users and businesses”.
- Israeli president confirms meeting with Pakistani expats’ delegation12:25 PM | 29 May, 2022
- Pakistan likely to hike gas tariff after withdrawing petroleum ...11:59 AM | 29 May, 2022
- Pakistani delegation leaves for India for talks on water disputes11:16 AM | 29 May, 2022
- Over 1,500 candidates elected unopposed as polling underway for ...08:57 AM | 29 May, 2022
- Watch – Saba Qamar loses her cool at press conference09:36 PM | 28 May, 2022
- Shah Rukh Khan's son Aryan gets clean chit in drugs case07:47 PM | 28 May, 2022
- Ghana Ali expresses her resentment towards Maryam Nawaz09:12 PM | 28 May, 2022
- Four Pakistanis make it to Forbes 30 Under 30 Asia List 202209:53 PM | 28 May, 2022
- Five best Pakistani YouTube channels that would make your Ramadan ...12:24 PM | 15 Apr, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in most powerful passport list in 2022? ...08:37 PM | 5 Apr, 2022
- International Women's Day - Pakistani women who made a mark globally!09:55 PM | 8 Mar, 2022