YouTube launches Urdu version for Pakistan as website still remains 'banned'
LAHORE (Staff Report) - While world's largest video sharing website YouTube still remains officially banned in Pakistan, the website administration has announced that they have launched a localised version of video sharing portal in Pakistan which will also be available in Urdu language.
The website has also got a new customised logo with "PK" for users in Pakistan.
The website was banned in Pakistan in September 2012, when it refused the content that insulted Prophet Muhammad (SAW). The company and Pakistani government remained in talks for establishment of a localised version of website which would not carry such content.
According to a statement of Google's Communications and Public Affairs Manager Zeffri Yusof, the company has launched YouTube's localised versions for Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Nepal in the latest update.
After the development Pakistani users will be able to search and upload videos in Urdu language while local languages of Sri Lanka and Nepal have also been operationalised.
Meanwhile the official ban on YouTube in Pakistan continues however users in different parts of country said that the website was accessible under "https" protocol.
Observers are of the opinion that Pakistani government will also announce to lift the ban formally because almost every demand of the country has been fulfilled by YouTube's administration.
- Sleep Expo Middle East announces first-ever industry award07:48 PM | 17 Nov, 2019
- Shahzain Bugti takes early lead in NA-259 re-polling, show initial ...07:10 PM | 17 Nov, 2019
- AIOU sets up nine new offices at less-developed regions06:47 PM | 17 Nov, 2019
- UN calls for action to tackle global road safety crisis03:28 PM | 17 Nov, 2019
- I was hypersexualised as a teenager in Hollywood: Scarlett Johansson03:10 PM | 16 Nov, 2019
- Mira Sethi marries childhood friend02:42 PM | 16 Nov, 2019
- Here's how fans have reacted to Hamza Ali Abbasi's decision to quit ...02:07 PM | 16 Nov, 2019
- Azadi March: Chaudhry brothers active for compromise talks as Fazl ...12:08 AM | 5 Nov, 2019
- 8 Reasons to buy HONOR 8 Series04:49 PM | 23 Oct, 2019
- Meet members of Pakistan’s first-ever National Youth Council05:05 PM | 1 Jul, 2019
- Google releases the list of most popular Pakistani YouTube Ads of 201803:31 PM | 25 Jan, 2019