Cryptocurrency: Bitcoin experiences heavy trading this week
MOSCOW - The Bitcoin market hit record highs over the weekend before dropping further than it has in years. Several exchanges for the cryptocurrency suffered outages during the fluctuation, leaving customers unable to buy or sell for hours.
Coinbase, one of the most popular ways to buy and sell popular cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin, ethereum and litecoin experienced an outage Monday. For several hours, buyers and sellers were met with a screen that read, “service unavailable.”
Update on site performance: pic.twitter.com/QgVT05Gzh6— Coinbase (@coinbase) May 25, 2017
The company cited high customer traffic and trading volume for being “down for maintenance.” Coinbase claimed that the issue was resolved by 7:44pm EST.
Then, on Monday, Bitcoin experienced its largest crash since January 2015, falling more than 16 percent to $2,532.87. Those looking to sell their Bitcoin on Monday as the price plummeted by more than $500 were unable to do so through Coinbase.
Coinbase also experienced an outage due to increased traffic on May 25, less than three weeks ago.
During that week, Bitcoin reached an all-time high of $2,791.70 before losing $400, according to CoinDesk.
Another exchange, BTC-e, tweeted on Monday that it was hit by a distributed denial-of-service attack, or DDoS. Their website was back online at 4:00pm EST, according to CNBC.
Many customers voiced their concern with the exchanges, which they say are not capable of handling the traffic that accompanies large fluctuations in the price of Bitcoin.
- FM Qureshi inaugurates new Pakistan embassy building in Doha11:23 PM | 28 Feb, 2020
- PSL 2020 – Match 11: Peshawar Zalmi beat Lahore Qalandars by 16 runs11:13 PM | 28 Feb, 2020
- At least 30 dead, dozens injured in Rohri train crash11:07 PM | 28 Feb, 2020
- UN alarmed after ongoing anti-Muslim violence leaves 42 dead in India10:54 PM | 28 Feb, 2020
- Fracture rules Bismah Maroof out of ICC Women’s T20 World Cup 202010:41 PM | 28 Feb, 2020
- Canada will no longer pay for Harry and Meghan's security03:56 PM | 28 Feb, 2020
- Here's what Navin Waqar does to stay fit03:36 PM | 28 Feb, 2020
- Scientists think they know how stress causes grey hair03:04 PM | 28 Feb, 2020
- Top 10 most searched people of 2019 in Pakistan06:52 PM | 12 Feb, 2020
- Top five impressive benefits of Orange juice07:14 PM | 6 Feb, 2020
- 8 Reasons to buy HONOR 8 Series04:49 PM | 23 Oct, 2019
- Meet members of Pakistan’s first-ever National Youth Council05:05 PM | 1 Jul, 2019