Pakistan’s public debt surges to Rs34.1 trillion in 9 months
KARACHI – Public debt of the country has surged to Rs34.1 trillion in first nine months of ongoing fiscal year, witnessing 7.4 percent or Rs 2.3 trillion increase from Rs31.7 trillion in the previous fiscal year 2018-19, according to the data of the State Bank of Pakistan (SBP).
The government got funds through commercial banks and national savings to cover the budget deficit as it is committed to its promise of zero borrowing from the SBP.
Domestic debt skyrocketed during the said period due to low tax revenue and higher interest payments by the government.
The domestic debt was stood at Rs22.4 trillion at the end of March, 8.422% up from Rs20.731 trillion at end-June last year.
According to the central bank, foreign debt increased by 5.45% to Rs11.658 trillion after the country borrowed funds from multilateral and commercial sources, and rupee depreciation.
- ‘You are our heroes’: CJCSC Gen Nadeem confers civil awards on ...09:54 PM | 22 Sep, 2020
- Saudi Arabia announces to restore Umrah pilgrimage in phases09:32 PM | 22 Sep, 2020
- Brand Spectrum wins Best Social Media Campaign recognition at ...09:12 PM | 22 Sep, 2020
- Pakistan Army inducts powerful VT-4 tanks with ultra-modern technology08:01 PM | 22 Sep, 2020
- Sigh of relief as Pakistan govt reduces prices of 94 lifesaving drugs07:45 PM | 22 Sep, 2020
- Alizeh Shah looks unrecognisable in her new purple hair05:25 PM | 22 Sep, 2020
- Armeena Khan praises spot person's amazing vocals03:30 PM | 22 Sep, 2020
- Madam Noor Jehan's house should be turned into a museum: Shaan Shahid02:07 PM | 22 Sep, 2020
- Pakistan terms Kashmir, Palestine disputes as UN's most long-standing ...11:18 AM | 22 Sep, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020