Iran hails Pakistan’s efforts to mitigate regional tension
During a joint press conference, both the leaders emphasized the need to restore peace in the region.
Rouhani said that the various issues including the war in Yemen and the sanctions imposed by the United States on Iran were discussed during the bilateral meeting.
The Iranian president assured that any any goodwill gesture will be responded with a goodwill gesture, adding that both countries can work together for the regional peace.
Rouhani also called for immediate ending of Yemen war, adding that regional issues have to be settled through regional means and dialogue.
While speaking on the occasion, Prime Minister Imran thanked Rouhani for his views and explained his major objectives behind the visit.
He said that Pakistan did not want any new conflict between Saudi Arabia and Iran as it would lead to more poverty, highlighting that around 70,000 people lost their lives in Pakistan in the war on terror and Afghanistan is still suffering.
Shining spotlight on Iran-Pakistan ties, the premier also informed, “Saudi Arabia has been one of our closest friends and always helped us”.
The tension between the two countries is no doubt a complex issue, he said and suggested that it can be resolved through dialogue.
"There is vested interest behind this conflict," added the premier.
He clarified that Pakistan would like to play the role of a facilitator and not mediator between the two Islamic countries.
Earlier, both leaders "held wide-ranging consultations" during the second high-profile meeting within one month, Pakistan Tekreek-i-Insaf's official Twitter account said.
It quotes the prime minister as saying, "Pakistan attaches high importance to bilateral ties with Iran," adding, "Pakistan is willing to play its role towards strengthening peace and stability in the region."
Prime Minister @ImranKhanPTI meets President of Iran Mr. Hassan Rouhani at Tehran. Prime Minister held wide-ranging consultations with President Rouhani. This was second meeting between two leaders within one month.— PTI (@PTIofficial) October 13, 2019
#Pakistan🇵🇰 #Iran🇮🇷 pic.twitter.com/HYkwFck2GG
Earlier, Khan along with his delegation comprising Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi and Special Assistant to PM on Overseas Pakistanis Sayed Zulfiqar Abbas Bukhari met Foreign Minister of Iran Mr. Javad Zarif to discuss regional peace and security.
Prime Minister @ImranKhanPTI arrives in Tehran as a part of his initiative to promote peace and security in the region. Prime Minister Imran Khan held a meeting with Foreign Minister of Iran Mr. Javad Zarif #Pakistan🇵🇰 #Iran🇮🇷 pic.twitter.com/Ae947yQ5ye— PTI (@PTIofficial) October 13, 2019
During the visit, PM Khan will have meetings with the Iranian leadership, including Supreme Leader Ayatollah Sayed Ali Khamenei and President Dr Hassan Rouhani.
Besides issues relating to peace and security in the Gulf, bilateral matters and important regional developments will be discussed.
The Prime Minister also had a bilateral meeting with the President of Iran on the sidelines of 74th UNGA Session in New York in September 2019.
- Pakistan cuts steel for fourth MILGEM-Class corvette ship (VIDEO)07:37 PM | 15 Jun, 2021
- realme conducts first-ever Global Launch Event to unveil realme GT & ...07:15 PM | 15 Jun, 2021
- Pakistan win silver at Asian Taekwondo Poomsae Championship06:57 PM | 15 Jun, 2021
- FIA summons Shehbaz Sharif in money laundering, sugar mills cases06:35 PM | 15 Jun, 2021
- Feroze Khan opens up about second marriage04:07 PM | 15 Jun, 2021
- Mehwish Hayat wants the Muslim misrepresentation in movies to change05:10 PM | 15 Jun, 2021
- Lost Cause - Alizeh Shah is a Billie Eilish fan girl03:21 PM | 15 Jun, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021
- Best anti-aging foods to look younger09:47 PM | 18 May, 2021
- Top cricketers who married athletes09:20 PM | 8 May, 2021