Iran hails Pakistan’s efforts to mitigate regional tension
ISLAMABAD - Prime Minister Imran Khan on Sunday met Iranian President Hassan Rouhani in Tehran during a day-long official visit aiming to promote peace and security in the region.
During a joint press conference, both the leaders emphasized the need to restore peace in the region.
Rouhani said that the various issues including the war in Yemen and the sanctions imposed by the United States on Iran were discussed during the bilateral meeting.
The Iranian president assured that any any goodwill gesture will be responded with a goodwill gesture, adding that both countries can work together for the regional peace.
Rouhani also called for immediate ending of Yemen war, adding that regional issues have to be settled through regional means and dialogue.
While speaking on the occasion, Prime Minister Imran thanked Rouhani for his views and explained his major objectives behind the visit.
He said that Pakistan did not want any new conflict between Saudi Arabia and Iran as it would lead to more poverty, highlighting that around 70,000 people lost their lives in Pakistan in the war on terror and Afghanistan is still suffering.
Shining spotlight on Iran-Pakistan ties, the premier also informed, “Saudi Arabia has been one of our closest friends and always helped us”.
The tension between the two countries is no doubt a complex issue, he said and suggested that it can be resolved through dialogue.
"There is vested interest behind this conflict," added the premier.
He clarified that Pakistan would like to play the role of a facilitator and not mediator between the two Islamic countries.
Earlier, both leaders "held wide-ranging consultations" during the second high-profile meeting within one month, Pakistan Tekreek-i-Insaf's official Twitter account said.
It quotes the prime minister as saying, "Pakistan attaches high importance to bilateral ties with Iran," adding, "Pakistan is willing to play its role towards strengthening peace and stability in the region."
Prime Minister @ImranKhanPTI meets President of Iran Mr. Hassan Rouhani at Tehran. Prime Minister held wide-ranging consultations with President Rouhani. This was second meeting between two leaders within one month.— PTI (@PTIofficial) October 13, 2019
#Pakistan🇵🇰 #Iran🇮🇷 pic.twitter.com/HYkwFck2GG
Earlier, Khan along with his delegation comprising Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi and Special Assistant to PM on Overseas Pakistanis Sayed Zulfiqar Abbas Bukhari met Foreign Minister of Iran Mr. Javad Zarif to discuss regional peace and security.
Prime Minister @ImranKhanPTI arrives in Tehran as a part of his initiative to promote peace and security in the region. Prime Minister Imran Khan held a meeting with Foreign Minister of Iran Mr. Javad Zarif #Pakistan🇵🇰 #Iran🇮🇷 pic.twitter.com/Ae947yQ5ye— PTI (@PTIofficial) October 13, 2019
During the visit, PM Khan will have meetings with the Iranian leadership, including Supreme Leader Ayatollah Sayed Ali Khamenei and President Dr Hassan Rouhani.
Besides issues relating to peace and security in the Gulf, bilateral matters and important regional developments will be discussed.
The Prime Minister also had a bilateral meeting with the President of Iran on the sidelines of 74th UNGA Session in New York in September 2019.
- India bans Muslim gatherings but allows Hindu pilgrimage in occupied ...11:45 PM | 6 Jul, 2020
- Pakistan surpasses 233,000 cases of coronavirus – 4,819 confirmed ...11:21 PM | 6 Jul, 2020
- Money laundering case – Shehbaz Sharif seeks exemption from ...11:15 PM | 6 Jul, 2020
- China, India hold talks on border standoff11:05 PM | 6 Jul, 2020
- Umar Akmal’s appeal to be heard on July 13: PCB10:53 PM | 6 Jul, 2020
- Elton John honoured with his own commemorative coin from Uk's Royal ...04:46 PM | 6 Jul, 2020
- TikTok star Zulqarnain Sikandar all set to make his acting debut with ...02:45 PM | 6 Jul, 2020
- Saroj Khan's family lived in Pakistan before the partition02:16 PM | 6 Jul, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020