Kuwait allows women for first time to join military in combat roles
KUWAIT CITY — Kuwait will allow women to enlist in the military in combat roles for the first time after years of having been restricted to civilian roles, the army said on Tuesday.
Defence Minister Hamad Jaber Al-Ali Al-Sabah said the door had been opened for women to join various combat ranks, including as officers, the Kuwait Armed Forces tweeted.
“The time has come for Kuwaiti women to be given the opportunity to enter the Kuwaiti military side by side with their brothers,” the minister said in remarks carried by state news agency KUNA.
He expressed confidence in women’s “capabilities... and their ability to endure hardship.”
Kuwaiti women earned the right to vote in 2005 and have been active both in cabinet and parliament — though they did not gain any seats in the current parliament.
Unlike other Gulf countries, Kuwait’s parliament enjoys legislative power and lawmakers have been known to challenge the government and royals.
- Today's currency exchange rates in Pakistan - Dollar, Euro, Pound, ...09:19 AM | 23 Oct, 2021
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan — 23 October 202108:44 AM | 23 Oct, 2021
- PM Imran leaves for Saudi Arabia for climate summit today12:01 AM | 23 Oct, 2021
- Two soldiers martyred, terrorist gunned down in North Waziristan ...11:00 PM | 22 Oct, 2021
- Punjab forms committee for peace talks with TLP10:02 PM | 22 Oct, 2021
- Madam Noor Jehan's family responds to Ali Azmat's remarks04:44 PM | 22 Oct, 2021
- Celebrities set the dance floor ablaze at Usman Mukhtar and Zunaira ...03:32 PM | 22 Oct, 2021
- Ertugrul star Burcu Kiratli’s new bold video goes viral01:40 PM | 22 Oct, 2021
- Pakistani celebrities who passed away in 202102:00 PM | 17 Oct, 2021
- India falls to 101 in Global Hunger Index 2021, 9 ranks below Pakistan10:54 AM | 16 Oct, 2021
- Celebrity deaths in 202111:59 PM | 12 Oct, 2021
- Hollywood stars with surprising hidden talents07:11 PM | 13 Sep, 2021