Pakistan to turn palatial PM House into university (VIDEO)
Addressing the media, Mehmood said that the people of the country were annoyed by the previous governments' "royal standards" of living and thus Prime Minister Imran Khan has decided that he will not stay in the Prime Minister House and governors will not reside in Governor Houses in an effort to not waste public money.
For the time in Pakistan's history a Prime Minister is leading the accountability measures from PM's to make sure tax payers money is spent on public welfare and not on the luxury of rulers. #PMAusterityDrive pic.twitter.com/PAKNi2KFfn— PTI (@PTIofficial) September 10, 2018
The minister informed that the annual expenditure of the Prime Minister House amounted to Rs 470 million. He stated that the property would be turned into a "top-class" educational institute and that the land behind the Prime Minister House would also be judiciously utilised.
Later, briefing the media on the decisions taken by the government, he said following the 100-Day agenda of Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf, the government is transforming Governor House-Murree into a Trust Complex as well as Punjab House and Governor House-Rawalpindi into educational institutions respectively.
Since the PM house comprises of 1096 kanal, the unused portion of the land will also be utilized to construct state of the art educational institute. pic.twitter.com/h4kBh8RkyB— PTI (@PTIofficial) September 13, 2018
The Governor House in Lahore will be turned into a museum and art gallery, it's park will be open for public, he added. Hall located on 90 Shahrah will be made convention centre and the Chamba House will operate as Governor Office.
Mehmood also informed about considerations regarding turning the Governor House in Karachi into a museum.
“We will consult the Sindh government on the matter,” he said.
Talking about the Governor Houses in Balochistan and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Mehmood said, they will be turned into museums, whereas the Governor House in Nathia Gali will be made into a state-of-art resort.
Decisions related to other government offices will be taken later, he added.
In his maiden speech to the nation on August 19, PM Khan had said that there were 524 persons to serve the prime minister at the 1100-Kanal PM House, coupled with 80 cars, including 33 bulletproof ones having the price of Rs 50 million each, besides helicopters and an aeroplane.
He also mentioned the huge and luxurious state buildings like governor houses, CM houses, rest houses, residences of secretaries, commissioners, DCs etc.
“At one hand the nation was burdened with debt and on the other, we have the elite. This system was created by the British during the colonial era to rule the masses, but even after independence the same practice was being followed,” Imran Khan remarked.
وزیراعظم ہاؤس جہاں عمران خان نے رہنے سے انکار کیا ہے وہ کیسا ہے اور کتنا پرتعیش ہے؟ pic.twitter.com/WhYL6HXhcW— PTI (@PTIofficial) September 13, 2018
- ‘Historic moment’ – Islamabad airport handles first cargo for ...06:29 PM | 16 Oct, 2021
- Social media reacts to whooping hike in petrol price in Pakistan05:26 PM | 16 Oct, 2021
- Sindh Governor goes historically wrong as he talks about Pakistan's ...02:40 PM | 16 Oct, 2021
- PM Imran's Banigala house lit up ahead of Eid Milad-un-Nabi01:43 PM | 16 Oct, 2021
- Yumna Zaidi all praise for co-stars Bilal Abbas Khan and Sajal Aly10:48 PM | 15 Oct, 2021
- Saba Qamar drops the first look from upcoming project 'Serial Killer'04:47 PM | 15 Oct, 2021
- Mehwish Hayat expresses love for Jennifer Lopez04:20 PM | 15 Oct, 2021
- India falls to 101 in Global Hunger Index 2021, 9 ranks below Pakistan10:54 AM | 16 Oct, 2021
- Celebrity deaths in 202111:59 PM | 12 Oct, 2021
- Hollywood stars with surprising hidden talents07:11 PM | 13 Sep, 2021
- Celebrities who are gifted athletes05:57 PM | 5 Sep, 2021