President Arif Alvi postpones parliament's joint session till Monday
ISLAMABAD - The joint session of parliament has been postponed till next week after calls from Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz following the death of the former first lady, Kulsoom Nawaz.
President Arif Alvi was scheduled to deliver his maiden address to the Senate and National Assembly members today at 4 PM for which a press release was also issued a day earlier.
However, on the advice of Prime Minister Imran Khan, the president has rescheduled the joint session for Monday.
The PML-N had approached senior government functionaries and National Assembly Speaker Asad Qasier with the request to postpone the joint session on account of the funeral of Kulsoom Nawaz, scheduled on Friday.
PTI govt decides to present its own federal budget 11:20 PM | 12 Sep, 2018
ISLAMABAD - The Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) government has decided to present its own federal budget. It has also ...
Former railways minister Khawaja Saad Rafique, Shaza Fatima Khawaja and other members of embattled Pakistan Muslim league Nawaz had also requested the sitting regime to postpone the session as the opposition members would be busy in the burial of Kulsoom Nawaz.
The president’s address to the joint session marks the beginning of the new parliamentary year. Following rescheduling of the joint session, the starting NA sessions in the new parliamentary year has also been rescheduled to Tuesday in which the government would present a mini-budget for the ongoing financial year.
Kulsoom Nawaz breathed her last on Tuesday while battling cancer at the Harley Street Clinic. Former chief minister Punjab, Shebaz Sharif arrived in London on Wednesday night to bring back her body.
The former first lady would be buried at the Jati Umra residence of the Sharif family on Friday for which Nawaz Sharif, his daughter Maryam and son-in-law Captain (r) Safdar have been released on parole, for a period of five days.
- PM Imran warns world to take notice of India's ultranationalist ...12:51 PM | 17 Feb, 2020
- FATF holds meeting in Paris to decide Pakistan’s fate today12:21 PM | 17 Feb, 2020
- Armeena Khan ties the knot with Fesl Khan on Valentine's day02:12 PM | 15 Feb, 2020
- Top 10 most searched people of 2019 in Pakistan06:52 PM | 12 Feb, 2020
- Top five impressive benefits of Orange juice07:14 PM | 6 Feb, 2020
- 8 Reasons to buy HONOR 8 Series04:49 PM | 23 Oct, 2019
- Meet members of Pakistan’s first-ever National Youth Council05:05 PM | 1 Jul, 2019