17 killed in 'terrorist attack' on Turkish restaurant in Burkina Faso
The eyewitnesses revealed the tragic episode saying three gunmen opened fire on customers seated outside a Turkish restaurant on Sunday evening.
The government then launched a counter-assault, with gunfire heard into the night.
Communication Minister Remis Dandjinou expressed that some people were still trapped inside the restaurant adding that it was not clear how many attackers wrecked the havoc.
One soldier had said there were hostages on the first and second floor of the two-storey building housing the restaurant.
The mayor of Ouagadougou and government ministers were on the scene, he added.
According to unconfirmed reports, two of the killed civilians belonged to Turkey and France.
Burkina Faso, a poor landlocked nation bordering Mali and Niger, has seen a string of attacks claimed by jihadist groups in recent years.
In December 2016 a dozen soldiers were killed in an assault on their base in the north of the country. And in October that year there was an attack that killed four troops and two civilians.
The worst attack was an assault on a hotel and cafe in central Ouagadougou in January 2016 that killed 30 people including several foreigners.
- Female Lawyer aerial firing clip goes viral on social media (VIDEO)09:28 AM | 30 Nov, 2020
- Live open market Foreign Currency Exchange Rates in Pakistan today - ...09:00 AM | 30 Nov, 2020
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan — 30 November 202008:30 AM | 30 Nov, 2020
- On the Wrong Side of History11:18 PM | 29 Nov, 2020
- 'Young Imran Khan' in old photo09:04 PM | 29 Nov, 2020
- Islamabad plans open-air cinema for safe entertainment09:26 PM | 28 Nov, 2020
- CokeStudio 2020 lineup revealed06:10 PM | 28 Nov, 2020
- Three games run better on Xbox Series X compared to PS509:56 AM | 26 Nov, 2020
- Celebs turning 60 in 202007:48 PM | 24 Nov, 2020
- 10 Richest Actresses of All Time09:20 PM | 23 Nov, 2020
- Karachi among 10 cheapest cities to live in 202006:12 PM | 19 Nov, 2020