Mushtaq Ghani elected Speaker KP Assembly
PESHAWAR - Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf's nominee, Mushtaq Ghani, was elected as the Speaker of the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Assembly on Wednesday.
His election as the 18th Speaker of the House came after the lawmakers cast their votes through secret ballot in which he secured 81 votes against his rival Laiq Muhammad who clinched 27 votes.
Mushtaq Ghani, who won the elections for PK-39, took the oath of his office after the election.
Meanwhile, Mehmood Jan of PTI also won the election for the slot of the Deputy Speakership.
The polling for the election of new Speaker and Deputy Speaker of the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Assembly started earlier and Hadiyatur Rehman, the lawmaker from PK-1, was the first one to cast his vote through secret ballot.
Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf had nominated Mushtaq Ghani for the slot of Speaker while Mehmood Jan is the nominee of the party for the slot of Deputy Speaker.
Imran Khan-led party enjoyed strength in the party as it had gained 84 seats in the house and is in a comfortable position to form the government.
Muttahida Majlis-e-Amal is the second largest party with a strength of 13 lawmakers.
The Awami National Party (ANP) had nominated Laiq Mohammad Khan for the leader of the opposition in K-P Assembly.
- Imran Ghazali appointed as head of information ministry’s digital ...11:46 PM | 3 Aug, 2020
- Afghan President Ghani phones PM Imran, discusses peace talks, ...09:34 PM | 3 Aug, 2020
- Three arrested in Faisalabad for displaying weapons on social media ...08:19 PM | 3 Aug, 2020
- Trump gives 45 days to Microsoft for acquiring TikTok07:21 PM | 3 Aug, 2020
- Nothing Like Everything: Ayyan Ali announces first-ever music album04:56 PM | 3 Aug, 2020
- Filmmakers around the world take to part in Iran’s Resistance Film ...10:27 AM | 3 Aug, 2020
- Hamza Ali Abbasi, Naimal Khawar Khan blessed with a baby boy12:37 PM | 3 Aug, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020