JUI-F's Haji Muhammad Usman Badini wins by-polls in NA-260
Badini who was the hot favourite secured 43,191 votes to seal his victory in NA-260 Quetta-cum-Chaghi constituency on Saturday.
Balochistan National Party Mir Bahadur Khan was a runner up with 37,200 votes whereas the Pashtunkhwa Milli Awami Party stood third with 19000 votes.
The election commission of Pakistan would issue the notification of results soon. The provincial government had announced that schools and colleges in Quetta and Chaghi remained closed during the polling process.
The seat was fallen vacant due to death of MNA Abdul Rahim Khan Mandokhail of Pakhtunkhwa Milli Awami Party (PkMAP), who had won the General Elections 2013 on the party’s ticket. The predominantly rural NA-260 had witnessed a record high turnout of 41% during the 2013 elections.
The multi-district constituency spanning Chaghi, Nushki and parts of Quetta has a total of 460,202 registered voters, including 185,835 (40%) women.
As many as 36,203 new voters - 18,737 men and17,466 women - have been added to the electoral rolls after the general elections 2013, making for a 10% increase.
The Fair and Free Elections Network (FAFEN) has deployed 26 trained observers to cover the entire constituency comprising 407 polling stations.
Using detailed standardised checklists, FAFEN observers are overlooking the voting, counting and consolidation of results.
Overall, 993 polling booths - 571 male and 422 female – have been set up. A total of 17 candidates - nine political parties and eight independents – are contesting the NA-260 by-election.
PkMAP has not formally positioned any candidate. The Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam Fazl has given its party ticket to Haji Muhammad Usman Badini, while Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf has fielded Munir Ahmad Baloch.
Balochistan National Party has positioned Mir Bahadur Khan, Jamiat Ulema-e Islam Nazryati Maulana Qari Mahar Ullah, Awami National Party Malik Ibrahim Kasi, Pakistan Peoples Party Parliamentarian Umair Mahmood Hasni, Jamiat Ulema-e Islam Sami Syed M Tahir Shah Akhunzada, Hazara Democratic Party Ahmad Ali Kohzad and Mustaqbil Pakistan has given its ticket to Zahir Shah.
The constituency has witnessed an intense election campaign by JUI-F and PkMAP.
The Election Commission of Pakistan has sought help from the army, Frontier Constabulary and Quick Response Force to ensure security for the polling day.
- FM Qureshi discusses Islamophobia, Kashmir situation with OIC ...03:08 PM | 27 Nov, 2020
- Indian Navy's MiG-29K crashes into Arabian Sea, pilot missing12:32 PM | 27 Nov, 2020
- Three killed as fire rages at factory in Karachi’s Orangi12:17 PM | 27 Nov, 2020
- No, Ataullah Esakhailvi is not dead!11:59 PM | 26 Nov, 2020
- Urwa Hocane's father responds to 'separation' with Farhan Saeed07:25 PM | 26 Nov, 2020
- Nabeel Zuberi takes lead role in Aulaad05:29 PM | 26 Nov, 2020
- Three games run better on Xbox Series X compared to PS509:56 AM | 26 Nov, 2020
- Celebs turning 60 in 202007:48 PM | 24 Nov, 2020
- 10 Richest Actresses of All Time09:20 PM | 23 Nov, 2020
- Karachi among 10 cheapest cities to live in 202006:12 PM | 19 Nov, 2020