14 police officers killed, three wounded in western Mexico shooting
MEXICO - Fourteen police officers have been killed and another three got wounded following a shooting in Michoacán state.
According to media reports, the police were carrying out a court order in El Aguaje, when their convoy was ambushed by gunmen in armoured four-by-four trucks, then torched several patrol cars in the ensuing chaos.
The federal security ministry wrote on Twitter that the government "condemns the attack that killed 14 police officers in Aguililla, Michoacan. We are in contact with the state government and will put all our resources at their disposal... to find those responsible and bring them to justice."
Michoacan has been racked for years by violence by drug cartels, other criminal gangs and armed "self-defence" groups.
Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador has been struggling to rein in violent crime since he took office last December.
More than 250,000 people have been murdered in Mexico since the army was deployed to the streets.
- LHC orders high-level probe into petrol crisis12:07 AM | 10 Jul, 2020
- PIA barred from flying to US over security concerns10:53 PM | 9 Jul, 2020
- Pakistan gears up efforts to tackle Covid-19 misinformation on social ...08:40 PM | 9 Jul, 2020
- UK Visa Application Centres in Pakistan re-opening form July 2708:13 PM | 9 Jul, 2020
- PTCL launches customer support services in Sindhi language07:20 PM | 9 Jul, 2020
- Asim Azhar's 'Jo Tu Na Mila' is a copy of Studio Ghibli production's ...02:04 PM | 9 Jul, 2020
- Veteran Bollywood actor Jagdeep dies at 8101:31 PM | 9 Jul, 2020
- Beyonce is an Italian, not African-American, US politician claims01:24 PM | 9 Jul, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020