Delhi restaurant found ‘guilty’ of discrimination for not serving street children
NEW DLEHI (Web Desk) - A restaurant in the India’s capital city is found guilty of "discriminatory behaviour" for refusing to serve a woman and street children who wanted to eat there, an Indian state government panel said on Thursday.
The woman, Sonali Shetty, had tried to take a group of street children to Shiv Sagar restaurant in the Indian capital. She says she was turned away because the children were "poor and dirty". The restaurant says she demanded free food, the BBC reported.
The panel said it was "evident" that they had been willing to pay.
The decision of not to serve them had been made on the basis of "socio-economic status", which was "against the spirit" of the Indian constitution, the panel said.
The incident on Sunday attracted widespread criticism in India, and prompted Delhi's deputy chief minister, Manish Sisodia, to say the restaurant had shown a "typical colonial mentality".
The Delhi state government has said it will take tough action against the restaurant, but has given no further details.
- Imran Ghazali appointed as head of information ministry’s digital ...11:46 PM | 3 Aug, 2020
- Afghan President Ghani phones PM Imran, discusses peace talks, ...09:34 PM | 3 Aug, 2020
- Three arrested in Faisalabad for displaying weapons on social media ...08:19 PM | 3 Aug, 2020
- Punjab govt to celebrate Tiger Force Day on Aug 907:38 PM | 3 Aug, 2020
- Trump gives 45 days to Microsoft for acquiring TikTok07:21 PM | 3 Aug, 2020
- Nothing Like Everything: Ayyan Ali announces first-ever music album04:56 PM | 3 Aug, 2020
- Filmmakers around the world take to part in Iran’s Resistance Film ...10:27 AM | 3 Aug, 2020
- Hamza Ali Abbasi, Naimal Khawar Khan blessed with a baby boy12:37 PM | 3 Aug, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020