Dollar extends gains after Fed's historic rate hike
The decision ended months of market uncertainty and reflected the central bank's growing confidence in the world's top economy.
"This action marks the end of an extraordinary seven-year period during which the federal funds rate was held near zero to support the recovery of the economy from the worst financial crisis and recession since the Great Depression," Fed chief Janet Yellen told a news conference.
The bank raised its key federal funds rate to 0.25-0.50 percent, and modestly boosted its view of the economy.
Rates were slashed by the Fed as part of a drive to fend off the ravages of the global financial crisis as it tore into the US economy, scything jobs and sending world stocks into freefall.
The dollar has been rising for months on expectations of the latest move, as higher rates offered investors the prospect of better returns on dollar-denominated assets.
The greenback rose to 122.58 yen from 122.26 yen Wednesday in New York after the Fed announcement, and 121.86 yen earlier in Asia.
The euro weakened to $1.0852 from $1.0911 in New York and $1.0936 in Tokyo before the announcement.
- US jury finds ex-cop Derek Chauvin guilty of murder in George Floyd ...03:15 AM | 21 Apr, 2021
- Ban on TLP will remain intact despite peace deal, says Fawad01:13 AM | 21 Apr, 2021
- Indian politicians using stray dogs to spread election messages in UP12:49 AM | 21 Apr, 2021
- PAKvZIM – Trophy unveiled ahead of first T20 clash (VIDEO)11:42 PM | 20 Apr, 2021
- PM Imran wishes India’s Manmohan Singh speedy recovery from COVID-1911:00 PM | 20 Apr, 2021
- Ertugrul star Engin Altan flaunts his surfing skills in new viral ...03:29 PM | 20 Apr, 2021
- Umer Sharif’s birthday bash hosted by Nida and Yasir02:55 PM | 20 Apr, 2021
- Pakistani passport still fourth-worst for international travel in 202110:31 AM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Ramadan 2021: Pakistan issues new guidelines to stem third Covid wave12:15 PM | 14 Apr, 2021
- Ten Stars who were Student Athletes04:30 PM | 13 Apr, 2021