Six dead as ISIS bombers target Afghanistan's state TV building
The dead included four civilians and two policemen.
“There were four attackers - one blew himself up at the gate, killing the guard. Three others entered the building but were killed after our security forces fought them for four hours,” Nangarhar Governor Gulab Mangal told reporters.
‘Islamic State’ (ISIS) terrorists have claimed responsibility for the raid in eastern Nangarhar province.
According to the US Forces-Afghanistan, defections and recent battlefield losses have reduced the local ISIS presence from a peak of as many as 3,000 fighters to a maximum of 800.
US troops in Afghanistan number about 8,400 today, and there are another 5,000 from Nato allies, who also mainly serve in an advisory capacity - a far cry from the US presence of more than 100,000 six years ago.
Wednesday's attack underscores the growing dangers faced by media workers in Afghanistan as the security situation worsens.
The country suffered its deadliest year on record for journalists in 2016, according to the Afghan Journalists' Safety Committee (AJSC), adding that the country is the second most dangerous for reporters in the world after Syria.
In January last year, seven employees of popular TV channel Tolo, which is often critical of the insurgents, were killed in a Taliban suicide bombing in Kabul in what the militant group said was revenge for “spreading propaganda” against them.
It was the first major attack on an Afghan media organisation since the Taliban were ousted from power in 2001.
- Today's currency exchange rates in Pakistan - Dollar, Euro, Pound, ...07:37 AM | 26 Sep, 2022
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan – 26 September 202207:24 AM | 26 Sep, 2022
- PAKvENG: Pakistan beat England by 3 runs in 4th T20I11:02 PM | 25 Sep, 2022
- 'Are we sick?' asks Ali Zafar in note on moral standards of society09:16 PM | 25 Sep, 2022
- Dananeer fangirls over Yami Gautum at Chicago South Asian Film ...06:40 PM | 25 Sep, 2022
- Pakistan, India lose ranking on UN’s human development index07:32 PM | 10 Sep, 2022
- Movies lineup for 2022-23 in Pakistan08:01 PM | 1 Sep, 2022
- Pakistani passport ranked 4th worst on list of 19911:59 PM | 23 Aug, 2022
- Pakistan ranks second worst on gender inequality10:55 PM | 13 Jul, 2022