List of countries without any armed forces
Let's look at some of the countries that have been living without any armed forces:
In 1948, after its victory in the civil war, the country put an end to having any armed force. Every year, Costa Rica celebrates Army Abolition Day on December 1. The police force currently handles the internal security of the country.
The country was invaded by the United States in the year 1983, and since then Grenada has not had a standing army in its service. A paramilitary force as part of the Royal Grenada Police Force works on internal security.
A nation of three group of islands, Kiribati, is another country with no standing army. The nation has a defence assistance from Australia and New Zealand along with its own Kiribati Police Service.
Under a separate military treaty, Andorra receives protection from Spain and France but has no standing military force. Andorra does have a small army for special ceremonies. Laws in the nation are handled by the National Police Corps.
The smallest country in the world, Vatican City used to have many armed forces to protect the pope and the country but Pope Paul VI abolished all the forces in 1970. However, since the little country is located in Rome, Italy protects the Vatican City.
Iceland had an army in 1869 but after that, the country had defense agreements with the U.S. to maintain an Iceland Defense Force that existed from 1951-2006. In 2006, America announced that it will provide Iceland its security without any stationed forces in the country.
- Vin Diesel walks Paul Walker's daughter down the aisle at her wedding09:44 AM | 24 Oct, 2021
- Today's currency exchange rates in Pakistan - Dollar, Euro, Pound, ...09:07 AM | 24 Oct, 2021
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan — 24 October 202108:41 AM | 24 Oct, 2021
- Pakistan denies any 'understanding' with US on use of airspace12:30 AM | 24 Oct, 2021
- Resham celebrates birthday in style with friends and family03:59 PM | 23 Oct, 2021
- Inside Usman Mukhtar and Zunaira Inam's fairytale wedding07:05 PM | 23 Oct, 2021
- India falls to 101 in Global Hunger Index 2021, 9 ranks below Pakistan10:54 AM | 16 Oct, 2021