When Shahid Afridi scored fastest hundred using Sachin Tendulkar's bat
It was October 4, 1996 when young Afridi, who was merely 16 years and 217 days, stepped into cricket ground against Sri Lanka. The player was there to bat but probably he did not have proper playing kit to face Sri Lankan bowlers. Hence he was provided with boots and helmet of Pakistani spinner Saqlain Mushtaq and bat of legendary Indian batsman Sachin Tendulkar.
But who knew he was going to make history. When he batted, the not-prepared youth managed for a new world record. He belted 11 sixes and 6 fours in that 37-ball innings which remained world's fastest ODI century for 6,297 days till January 1, 2014.
Afridi recalls the biggest event of his life saying "I had just got into Pakistani cricket team and during the practice session in Nairobi Waqar Younis gave me a bat and said, play with this and see, it is Sachin's bat". The bat really proven to be lucky for Pakistani star.
"I feel very honored for playing with Sachin's bat in my first ODI match, Sachin had given the bat to Waqar Younis requesting him to get a similar one from Sialkot", Afridi adds. Boom Boom Afridi still has the historic bat with him.
Afridi played his last ODI match on March 20, 2015 when Pakistan faced Australia in quarterfinal during ICC World Cup 2015.
- Meesha Shafi, mother file petition for apology in Ali Zafar ...11:59 PM | 4 Dec, 2021
- Pakistan assures Sri Lanka of justice in Sialkot incident10:55 PM | 4 Dec, 2021
- Babar Azam on top after smashing most 50s and 100s in 202110:28 PM | 4 Dec, 2021
- Indian fighter jet's tyre stolen in Lucknow09:52 PM | 4 Dec, 2021
- WATCH – Shahveer Jafry and Ayesha Beig share details of how they ...08:21 PM | 4 Dec, 2021
- Celebrities dazzle at James Bond-themed party in Karachi04:33 PM | 4 Dec, 2021