Oman becomes the latest GCC country to introduce VAT
OMAN – Oman has introduced a 5 percent value-added tax (VAT), becoming the fourth Gulf Cooperation Council country to implement a so-called consumption tax.
The move followed the UAE, Saudi Arabia and Bahrain.
Arab News reports that Oman has predicted it will raise OMR400 million ($1.04 billion) from the tax this year, equivalent to 1.5 percent of GDP, as it looks to narrow a widening fiscal deficit.
In June 2016, all six GCC states signed the Common VAT Agreement, pledging to introduce a 5% VAT rate.
Tax-free no more: Saudi Arabia, UAE roll out VAT ... 07:16 PM | 1 Jan, 2018
RIYADH - Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) introduced the Value Added Tax (VAT) for the first time from ...
Qatar is expected to go ahead with VAT in the second or third quarter of this year and is said to be close to finalising its tax administration system, Dhareeba.
Goods and services exempt from VAT include financial services, health care, education, local passenger transport, bare land, resale of residential real estate and residential rents.
Zero-rated goods and services include all exports, basic foodstuffs, medicine and medical equipment, investment in gold, silver and platinum, crude oil and derivatives and natural gas, among certain transport goods.
- Synergyzer On Bringing Pakistan’s Advertising, Marketing & Media ...04:58 AM | 8 May, 2021
- Sindh announces to hire 37,000 teachers11:44 PM | 7 May, 2021
- ‘No hugs and kisses this eid,’ Firdous Ashiq Awan to public amid ...11:03 PM | 7 May, 2021
- Infinix tipped to launch Note 10 Pro with MediaTek Helio G9510:48 PM | 7 May, 2021
- KPK launches mobile vaccination drive for elderly citizens10:32 PM | 7 May, 2021
- Sania Mirza surprises everyone on show Jeeto Pakistan League (VIDEO)06:46 PM | 7 May, 2021
- Ali Rehman Khan celebrates 33rd birthday in style04:19 PM | 7 May, 2021
- Prince William, Duchess Kate launch their own YouTube channel02:16 PM | 7 May, 2021
- 10 Tips for Success during the Last Ashra of Ramadan08:26 PM | 7 May, 2021
- Stars who have insured their body parts07:06 PM | 4 May, 2021
- Best-dressed Stars at Oscars Red Carpet 202105:52 PM | 2 May, 2021
- Tips to follow when walking for weight loss08:11 PM | 29 Apr, 2021