Complex Pasts: Diverse Futures – It's World Heritage Day!
ISLAMABAD – The International Heritage Day is being observed across the world on Sunday.
This year, the day's theme is 'Complex Pasts: Diverse Futures.' This aims at restoring and preserving the diverse cultural heritage that makes the world what it is.
Pakistan's cultural heritage includes archaeological sites, stupas, forts, shrines, tombs, buildings, residences, monuments, and places of worship. Until the passing of the Eighteenth Amendment to the Constitution of Pakistan, some sites were under the federal government while others were in the provincial domain.
In 1997, the Pakistan Environmental Protection Agency, Ministry of Environment Pakistan, published a list of notified protected archaeological sites and monuments, according to which there are total 389 sites and monuments under federal government protection while 444 are under provincial governments. Punjab and Sindh are the only two provinces which have provincial level laws to protect heritage. Aside from these sites, there are many others which are unprotected or privately owned.
To spread awareness about the rich cultural heritage and to preserve our own traditional and cultural heritage, #WorldHeritageDay is being observed to raise awareness about the cultural heritage that we see around us. #KPKUpdates pic.twitter.com/HgpZ95PVjw— PTI KP (Official) (@PTIKPOfficial) April 18, 2021
There are 6 UNESCO World Heritage Sites in Pakistan. All 6 of these sites are listed under the Cultural category.
- Archaeological Ruins at Moenjodaro (1980)
- Buddhist Ruins of Takht-i-Bahi and Neighbouring City Remains at Sahr-i-Bahlol (1980)
- Fort and Shalamar Gardens in Lahore (1981)
- Historical Monuments at Makli, Thatta (1981)
- Rohtas Fort (1997)
- Taxila (1980)
Sites on the Tentative List (26)
A tentative list means properties which a state party considers to be cultural and natural heritage having universal value and suitable for including on the World Heritage List
- Badshahi Mosque, Lahore (1993)
- Wazir Khan's Mosque, Lahore (1993)
- Tombs of Jahangir, Asif Khan and Akbari Sarai, Lahore (1993)
- Hiran Minar and Tank, Sheikhupura (1993)
- Tomb of Hazrat Rukn-e-Alam, Multan (1993)
- Rani Kot Fort, Dadu (1993)
- Shah Jahan Mosque, Thatta (1993)
- Chaukhandi Tombs, Karachi (1993)
- Archaeological Site of Mehrgarh (2004)
- Archaeological Site of Rehman Dheri (2004)
- Archaeological Site of Harappa (2004)
- Archaeological Site of Ranigat (2004)
- Shahbazgarhi Rock Edicts (2004)
- Mansehra Rock Edicts (2004)
- Baltit Fort (2004)
- Tomb of Bibi Jawindi, Baha'al-Halim and Ustead and the Tomb and Mosque of Jalaluddin Bukhari (2004)
- Tomb of Shah Rukn-e-Alam (2004)
- Port of Banbhore (2004)
- Derawar and the Desert Forts of Cholistan (2016)
- Hingol Cultural Landscape (2016)
- Karez System Cultural Landscape (2016)
- Nagarparkar Cultural Landscape (2016)
- Central Karakorum National Park (2016)
- Deosai National Park (2016)
- Ziarat Juniper Forest (2016)
- The Salt Range and Khewra Salt Mine (2016)
Panj Tirath: Pakistan declares ancient Hindu site ... 08:05 PM | 3 Jan, 2019
PESHAWAR – The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa government has declared the ancient Hindu religious site of Panj Tirath in the ...
- Synergyzer On Bringing Pakistan’s Advertising, Marketing & Media ...04:58 AM | 8 May, 2021
- ‘No hugs and kisses this eid,’ Firdous Ashiq Awan to public amid ...11:03 PM | 7 May, 2021
- Infinix tipped to launch Note 10 Pro with MediaTek Helio G9510:48 PM | 7 May, 2021
- KPK launches mobile vaccination drive for elderly citizens10:32 PM | 7 May, 2021
- Sania Mirza surprises everyone on show Jeeto Pakistan League (VIDEO)06:46 PM | 7 May, 2021
- Ali Rehman Khan celebrates 33rd birthday in style04:19 PM | 7 May, 2021
- Prince William, Duchess Kate launch their own YouTube channel02:16 PM | 7 May, 2021
- 10 Tips for Success during the Last Ashra of Ramadan08:26 PM | 7 May, 2021
- Stars who have insured their body parts07:06 PM | 4 May, 2021
- Best-dressed Stars at Oscars Red Carpet 202105:52 PM | 2 May, 2021
- Tips to follow when walking for weight loss08:11 PM | 29 Apr, 2021