‘Warding off evil eyes’: PIA sacrifices a black goat at Islamabad airport minutes before ATR plane takes off for ...
Days after the deadly crash involving PIA’s flight-661 in the Havelian region of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, which claimed more than 45 lives, the airline’s employees sacrificed a black goat at Benazir Bhutto Airport in Islamabad on Sunday.
“It has been decided to keep all 10 ATR aircraft grounded till they are cleared after thorough examination,” the airline said in a statement. It added that the temporary suspension of ATR operation “will affect PIA’s flights to smaller airports like Gwadar, Turbat, Panjgur, Mohenjo Daro, Zhob, Bahawalpur, Dera Ghazi Khan, Chitral and Gilgit.”
The CAA directions came after an ATR aircraft reportedly caught fire on the runway of Multan Airport before taking off last week. The PIA airplane PK-581 with 48 passengers on board was set to take off from Multan to Karachi when the fire erupted.
The pilot’s refusal had come a day after the colossal crash in Havelian region of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa which claimed 47 lives, including that of iconic singer-turned-preacher Junaid Jamshed and his family.
The airline said that Captain Saleh Janjua, the pilot of ATR 42-500 that crashed on Dec 7, had made a mayday call and reported the failure of an engine before the turboprop lost contact with air traffic control.
PIA chairman Azam Saigol has already resigned due to "personal reasons" while the CAA has yet to clear the ATR aircraft for flying operations. Perhaps the airline has given up hope that things will ever improve, and feels that there is no other option left except sacrificial offerings.
- Pakistan has cheapest fuel cost in South Asia, says PM Iman11:56 PM | 31 May, 2020
- Two Pakistan High commission officials asked to leave India in 24 ...10:40 PM | 31 May, 2020
- ‘History in Making’ — Pakistani plane flies directly to US for ...10:07 PM | 31 May, 2020
- Petrol price slashed by Rs7.06 per litre in Pakistan09:01 PM | 31 May, 2020
- Raising a daughter is a huge responsibility: Humaima Malick05:08 PM | 30 May, 2020
- Zaira Wasim deactivates social media accounts over trolling03:41 PM | 30 May, 2020
- Kylie Jenner is not a billionaire, says Forbes03:09 PM | 30 May, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020