Vice-president Mike Pence thanks PM Abbasi for US-Canadian couple's recovery
ISLAMABAD - The US Vice President Mike Pence called Prime Minister Khaqan Abbasi and thanked him for the US-Canadian couple's recovery. He lauded the role of Pakistan Army and Inteleginese Agencies in freeing the hostages in a late-night ambush last week near Pak-Afghan Border, the statement released from the Prime Minister house said here on Wednesday.
Speaking on behalf of the US government, Pence reaffirmed the importance of bilateral relations and said that the US would like to further build this relationship for peace and prosperity of the region.
Reaffirming Pakistan’s resolve to eliminate terrorism from its soil, PM Abbasi assured the US vice president that Pakistan would respond to any actionable intelligence shared by the US side.
The two leaders agreed to maintain high-level engagements to strengthen cooperation in areas of mutual interest.
Pence also accepted the invitation of the prime minister to visit Pakistan in the near future.
Earlier, US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson also called to convey US government’s gratitude for the safe recovery of the hostages.
Last week, Pakistan's security forces, with the support of US intelligence, freed an American woman, her Canadian husband and their three children from terrorists’ captivity.
Readout of the Vice President's Call with Prime Minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi of Pakistan
Vice President Mike Pence spoke with Pakistani Prime Minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi by phone today. The Vice President thanked Abbasi for his government's assistance in recovering U.S. and Canadian hostages that were being held captive by the Haqqani Taliban Network in the tribal areas of Pakistan. Vice President Pence noted this effort as an important development in Pakistan's support to the U.S. strategy against terrorism in the region, but highlighted that cooperation against militant groups must be continued and sustained. Just as he did during the meeting the two had in New York last month, the Vice President again discussed ways that Pakistan could work with the United States and others to bolster stability and security for all in South Asia.
- Imran Ghazali appointed as head of information ministry’s digital ...11:46 PM | 3 Aug, 2020
- Afghan President Ghani phones PM Imran, discusses peace talks, ...09:34 PM | 3 Aug, 2020
- Three arrested in Faisalabad for displaying weapons on social media ...08:19 PM | 3 Aug, 2020
- Trump gives 45 days to Microsoft for acquiring TikTok07:21 PM | 3 Aug, 2020
- Nothing Like Everything: Ayyan Ali announces first-ever music album04:56 PM | 3 Aug, 2020
- Filmmakers around the world take to part in Iran’s Resistance Film ...10:27 AM | 3 Aug, 2020
- Hamza Ali Abbasi, Naimal Khawar Khan blessed with a baby boy12:37 PM | 3 Aug, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020