Marriyum announces to end media regulatory body aimed to curb ‘freedom of expression’
says PMDA in whatever shape or form it was working till now is being disbanded
ISLAMABAD – Marriyum Aurangzeb announced to end Pakistan Media Development Authority (PMDA), soon after taking charge of the Information ministry.
Speaking in a presser in the country’s federal capital, Aurangzeb showed solidarity with the media personnel who opposed the proposed draconian law under the title of the Pakistan Media Development Regulatory Authority (PMDRA).
The PML-N leader also mentioned reviewing the Prevention of Electronic Crimes Act (PECA) in coordination with all the stakeholders, saying the incumbent government would not take revenge on opponents.
She mentioned the termination of media workers in the previous regime and also condemned unfortunate incidents with senior journalists including Hamid Mir, Asad Toor, and Matiullah Jan.
PECA Ordinance was used to harass journalists, she mentioned, while adding the bill related to journalists' protection would be made implementable at the earliest.
Mainstream media faced censorship in PTI regime, the information minister said, adding the government will work with the Joint Action Committee to curb propaganda and fake news.
She mentioned that there is no need for any other media authority in the presence of the Pakistan Electronic Media Regulatory Authority (PEMRA).
IHC declares PECA ordinance null and void 02:55 PM | 8 Apr, 2022
ISLAMABAD – The Islamabad High Court (IHC) on Friday declared the Prevention of Electronic Crimes Act, 2016 ...
Earlier this month, the Islamabad High Court declared the Prevention of Electronic Crimes (Amendment) Ordinance, 2022 (PECA) unconstitutional.
The ordinance was promulgated by President Dr. Arif Alvi in February to amend the PECA as the government made attempts to curb fake news.
- Pakistan extends Benazir Kafalat Programme to transgender community11:17 PM | 3 Dec, 2022
- Security forces kill terrorist commander in North Waziristan10:50 PM | 3 Dec, 2022
- Iqra Aziz has the sweetest birthday wish for Yasir Hussain10:25 PM | 3 Dec, 2022
- Emirati themed Jazz and Opera concerts captivate visitors to ...09:59 PM | 3 Dec, 2022
- 'Mastermind' of Sidhu Moose Wala’s murder detained in USA07:56 PM | 3 Dec, 2022
- Armeena Khan claps back at haters trolling her for her maternity ...09:22 PM | 3 Dec, 2022
- Karachi among world’s least expensive cities in new report09:30 PM | 2 Dec, 2022
- Timeline of Pakistan Army Generals during country’s 75 year-long ...10:28 AM | 29 Nov, 2022
- Only two Pakistani universities make it to Asia’s top 10003:15 PM | 10 Nov, 2022
- Pakistanis named among 'The World's Most Influential 500 Muslims'10:16 PM | 2 Nov, 2022