Spanish bans bull killing in Gory bull-spearing festivals
Though it won't affect bullfights the decision by the Castile and Leon government looks set to end bull killing at the region's annual Toro de la Vega festival in Tordesillas, where men on horseback chase down a bull and spear it in front of onlookers.
The centuries-old event about 120 miles northwest of Madrid has drawn increasing protests in recent years, with animal rights activists denouncing it as cruel and calling for a ban.
Regional lawmakers still have to approve the decree, but the government has a majority in the legislature to virtually ensure it passes into law in Castile and Leon.
The regional government's move came amid growing tension between Spain's anti-bullfighting groups and those who fiercely defend the tradition.
- Rs28 billion relief package for the poor will be part of next budget, ...11:35 PM | 27 May, 2022
- Pakistani PM Shehbaz Sharif to visit Turkey next week, says Foreign ...11:09 PM | 27 May, 2022
- Shireen Mazari's daughter booked for 'defaming' Pakistan Army chief09:43 PM | 27 May, 2022
- PIA announces Pakistan's Hajj flights plan08:45 PM | 27 May, 2022
- TikToker Dolly's bail plea in forest fire case dismissed by Islamabad ...06:09 PM | 27 May, 2022
- Shyra Roy shares her working experience with Hrithik Roshan07:53 PM | 27 May, 2022
- Five best Pakistani YouTube channels that would make your Ramadan ...12:24 PM | 15 Apr, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in most powerful passport list in 2022? ...08:37 PM | 5 Apr, 2022
- International Women's Day - Pakistani women who made a mark globally!09:55 PM | 8 Mar, 2022
- ‘Hybrid regime’: Pakistan among worst nations on EIU's Democracy ...01:22 PM | 12 Feb, 2022