Eight dead, 45 injured in multiple blasts at Afghan cricket stadium
The back to back blasts occurred as a number of spectators were busy in watching a cricket match at a local stadium in the city, reported Tolo News. It is the first attack since the holy month of Ramazan began.
The match was part of a cricket tournament, Ramadan Cup, held between local team, an official said, adding that Hedayatullah Zahir, an organizer of the cricket tournament, and Dr Nikmal, deputy mayor of Mehtarlam City of Laghman province, are among the deceased.
Around 45 people were wounded in the attack, and have been shifted to a hospital for medical treatment.
It is suspected that the deadly attack was carried out by IS as Taliban has denied any involvement in the Jalalabad blasts.
In September 2017, Daesh attacked a cricket match in Kabul killing three people and injuring three.
Afghan President Ashraf Ghani on Saturday condemned the attack in Jalalabad.
"The terrorists did not stop killing our people even during the holy month of Ramadan ... by carrying out a terrorist attack in a populated sport stadium, once again they have proved that they are not bound to any creed or religion, and they are the enemy of humanity," a statement from his office said.
- Brace Yourselves for the Live Broadcast Launch of TECNO’s Spark 5 ...01:19 PM | 6 Jun, 2020
- Sindh launches online education for primary schools amid COVID-1912:29 PM | 6 Jun, 2020
- COVID-19: Hafeez urges int'l agencies for evaluating losses to ...11:11 AM | 6 Jun, 2020
- Protests against racism, police violence sparked in major Australian ...10:02 AM | 6 Jun, 2020
- Kanye West donates $2 million, establishes college fund for George ...08:24 PM | 5 Jun, 2020
- Meghan Markle speaks out about ‘Black Lives Matter’07:17 PM | 5 Jun, 2020
- Naveed Raza urges people to stop denying the existence of coronavirus06:51 PM | 5 Jun, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020