US court issues summons against Indian PM Modi for committing human rights violations in Occupied Kashmir
WASHINGTON - A US Court issued summons against Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi ahead of his arrival to United States (US) for committing human rights violations in the Occupied Kashmir.
The summons were also issued against Indian Union Home minister Amit Shah and Commander of Indian Armed forces in the Indian-occupied Kashmir (IoK), Lt. General Kanwal Jeet Singh.
The lawsuit filed by two Kashmiri citizens alleges Modi, Shah and Indian army commander, carried out extrajudicial killings, committed wrongful death, battery, emotional distress, crimes against humanity and inflicted “cruel, inhuman, degrading treatment or punishment” upon Kashmiris during the military exercise.
The civil complaint accuses Modi of human rights violations under The Torture Victim Protection Act of 1991, a federal statute that allows civil suits on US soil against foreign officials suspected of committing torture or extrajudicial killing.
The summons was issued ahead of Indian PM Modi’s arrival to attend the 74th session of the United Nations General Assembly.
Earlier, the Indian Supreme Court had also ordered the Modi government to restore normalcy in Occupied Jammu and Kashmir.
Top Indian court orders Modi govt to restore ... 04:30 PM | 16 Sep, 2019
NEW DELHI – The Indian Supreme Court has ordered Modi government to restore normalcy in Occupied Jammu and Kashmir. ...
Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi issued these orders while hearing a petition by child rights activist Enakshi Ganguly on the state of children between six and 18 years because of the restrictions in Jammu and Kashmir.
The country’s top court also sought a report from Jammu and Kashmir High Court Chief Justice on allegations that people are finding it difficult to approach the High Court.
- Pakistan launches documentary on February-27 response against Indian ...05:38 PM | 26 Feb, 2020
- Women’s T20 World Cup 2020: Pakistan beat West Indies in Canberra05:24 PM | 26 Feb, 2020
- Nazi-inspired RSS ideology taking over India, may lead to bloodshed: ...03:33 PM | 26 Feb, 2020
- Punjab Cabinet declares PML-N Supremo Nawaz Sharif as “absconder”01:46 PM | 26 Feb, 2020
- Greta Thunberg and Malala Yousafzai meet at Oxford University01:17 PM | 26 Feb, 2020
- Hamza Ali Abbasi calls out Hindutva activists, urges world to take ...01:12 PM | 26 Feb, 2020
- Sonya Hussyn was never in my books for MPTH: Khalil ur Rehman12:35 AM | 26 Feb, 2020
- Top 10 most searched people of 2019 in Pakistan06:52 PM | 12 Feb, 2020
- Top five impressive benefits of Orange juice07:14 PM | 6 Feb, 2020
- 8 Reasons to buy HONOR 8 Series04:49 PM | 23 Oct, 2019
- Meet members of Pakistan’s first-ever National Youth Council05:05 PM | 1 Jul, 2019