600 people evacuated after fire breaks out at hotel in Makkah
Tpokesperson Nayef al-Sharif said no casualties were reported in the fire, which was sparked by a faulty air conditioning unit on the eighth floor of a 15-storey hotel in the Azaziyah district of Makkah where two million Muslims will perform the annual Hajj pilgrimage.
All 600 residents, most of whom had come from Turkey and Yemen for the Hajj pilgrimage, were evacuated and have since returned to the hotel, Sharif said.
Makkah that draws millions of pilgrims on regular basis is considered one of the holiest cities in Islam.
Being a birthplace of the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH), it is one of the most revered site in Islam.
The pilgrimage will take place in the first week of September where millions of Muslims from across the globe would gather in Saudi Arabia and celebrate Eidul Azha.
- One boy died, another badly hurt due to dogs biting02:25 PM | 6 Jun, 2020
- Brace Yourselves for the Live Broadcast Launch of TECNO’s Spark 5 ...01:19 PM | 6 Jun, 2020
- Sindh launches online education for primary schools amid COVID-1912:29 PM | 6 Jun, 2020
- COVID-19: Hafeez urges int'l agencies for evaluating losses to ...11:11 AM | 6 Jun, 2020
- Kanye West donates $2 million, establishes college fund for George ...08:24 PM | 5 Jun, 2020
- Meghan Markle speaks out about ‘Black Lives Matter’07:17 PM | 5 Jun, 2020
- Naveed Raza urges people to stop denying the existence of coronavirus06:51 PM | 5 Jun, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020