Anwar Maqsood in hot waters after 'racist overtones' in latest webseries
In the episode, Anwar Maqsood discuss Pakistan in various exchanges. However, his alleged 'racist overtones' incited criticism from various celebrities and social activists who shared their disapproval on twitter.
Deeply offended by the racist video made by Anwar Maqsood and his team. Comedy and satire should always be about a certain mentality, not a a ethinicity or community. Calling Sindhis lazy and corrupt is not funny, it's spreading hate and maligning— Ali Gul Pir (@Aligulpir) April 22, 2018
Comedian and writer Ali Gul Pir tweeted, "Deeply offended by the racist video made by Anwar Maqsood and his team. Comedy and satire should always be about a certain mentality, not an ethnicity or community. Calling Sindhis lazy and corrupt is not funny, it’s spreading hate and maligning."
Singer Mooroo also tweeted: "There is a thin line between racism and stereotyping for the sake of humour. #AnwarMaqsood treaded the line for years, racism was funny back then, people have evolved, racism is not funny anymore."
There is a thin line between racism and stereotyping for the sake of humour #AnwarMaqsood treaded the line for years, racism was funny back then, people have evolved, racism is not funny anymore.— Mooroo (@Mooroo4) April 22, 2018
Many other people also tweeted their thoughts on the matter:
This man #AnwarMaqsood is an idiot and racist.This biased and racist grownup in Sindh,educated in Sindh and enjoys all the benefits of Sindh government but barks against Sindhis.This old crazy white beard man should read history.— Hafsa Benazir Jillani (@HafsaJillani) April 21, 2018
You too, Mr. #AnwarMaqsood, just watched ur 'video Interv. Sindhi https://t.co/YdBiaY6n7j' w'd say, ur video doesn't define Sindhis but it shows what you think about Sindhis. Mr. Anwar, u have no an idea about Sindh. ur biased approaches towards Sindhis, made us speechless.— Veengas (@VeengasJ) April 22, 2018
However, some supported Mr. Maqsood on his stance:
What #AnwarMaqsood presented in his latest AnwarNama is actually a bitter and generally accepted Truth! Here one can blame PPP for the disgrace of beautiful land named Sindh but this is unjustified to accuse the writer as Racist!— FF (@SahebeDil) April 22, 2018
#AnwarMaqsood A Big LOL for all trying to say this as racist. I think he is showing the true face of what is going in Sindh from Ages— Zia Nasir (@Z_nasir1) April 22, 2018
Truth is always hard to digest, by the way we Pakistanis never accept our faults and that is the main reason behind our destruction. This man speaking very true that actually remained PPP policy #AnwarMaqsood— Abu Bakr Waqas (@ABbiotechnology) April 22, 2018
However, Mr. Anwar Maqsood released a video apologizing for the whole ordeal
Things, however, saw a much-needed respite when Anwar Maqsood retracted the video and instead, released an apologetic video explaining the whole situation.
Watch the video below:
- Biden phones Netanyahu, Abbas as death toll in Israeli airstrikes on ...07:54 PM | 16 May, 2021
- Cyclone Tauktae – Heavy rains kill 4, affect over 42,000 in Sri ...06:14 PM | 16 May, 2021
- US forces leave key Afghanistan military base05:22 PM | 16 May, 2021
- Cyclone TAUKTAE 'will not make landfall on Pakistan's coastal belt'04:52 PM | 16 May, 2021
- Khyber Pakhtunkhwa ends COVID-19 lockdown tomorrow04:18 PM | 16 May, 2021
- ‘New beginnings’ – Ghana Ali all set to tie the knot01:19 PM | 16 May, 2021
- MD Glam on why women should say no to skincare products made from ...10:01 AM | 16 May, 2021
- Ayeza Khan celebrates 9 million Insta followers in style10:06 PM | 15 May, 2021
- Top cricketers who married athletes09:20 PM | 8 May, 2021
- 10 Tips for Success during the Last Ashra of Ramadan08:26 PM | 7 May, 2021
- Stars who have insured their body parts07:06 PM | 4 May, 2021
- Best-dressed Stars at Oscars Red Carpet 202105:52 PM | 2 May, 2021