Police arrest main accused in Zainab killing case after DNA matches
The accused has been identified as Imran Ali and is said to be a relative of the seven-year-old girl. He lived near the house of the innocent girl in Kasur on Kot Road, from where she was abducted.
Zainab was kidnapped on January 4 when she was on her way to Holy Quran class. Her body was discovered five days later from a garbage pile. The post-mortem report revealed that the minor girl had been raped and murdered.
Sources also revealed to Daily Pakistan that a jacket of Zianab’s killer that can be seen in the CCTV footage was recovered from the accused.
CM Shehbaz confirms arrest of Kasur child's killer 08:32 PM | 23 Jan, 2018
LAHORE - The rapist and killer of seven-year-old Zainab from Kasur has been arrested, Punjab Chief Minister Shehbaz ...
Police sources said that the accused was taken into custody some days ago but was released after taking DNA sample, adding that he has been arrested again after his DNA matched evidence found in the case during the medical examination.
The accused, according to police, has confessed to the heinous crime and looks very similar to the person who can be seen in a CCTV footage.
Media reports suggest Punjab Forensic Science Agency (PFSA) also confirmed that Imran's DNA matched the deceased girl. Around DNA test of over 600 people were conducted during the investigations.
Punjab government spokesperson Malik Ahmad confirmed the arrest of Imran Ali. The spokesperson said that he would be able to confirm whether the suspect is involved in the brutal incident after a detailed forensic report. The forensic agency will give the report by 7 pm, he said.
Earlier, police believed the suspect is a serial killer as the same DNA found in previous assault cases in which nine girls, ages five to 10 years, were raped and killed seven of them.
As the Kasur incident ramped up pressure on the government, a high-profile joint investigation team (JIT), headed by Multan Regional Police Officer DIG Muhammad Idrees, was formed to solve the case.
Govt replaces JIT head in Zainab case after ... 12:53 PM | 12 Jan, 2018
LAHORE - The Punjab government has replaced head of the joint investigation team (JIT) formed to investigate killing ...
The incident also sparked violent protest in Kasur and drew countrywide criticism, raising questions on the performance of law enforcers. During the protest, two men were killed in police firing that added fuel to the fire.
Earlier in January, the police also claimed to have arrested the main suspect, identified as Umar Farooq, from Bhatta Chowk, an area of Lahore. But, the police on Monday have to release Farooq after the DNA test by PFSA cleared him.
Death Sentence Demanded
On Monday, Senate approved a resolution, seeking the death sentence for culprits involved in child rape and murder cases. The resolution got full support of the Pakistan Peoples Party, which during its tenure, halted the execution due to pressure from the European Union.
- PM Imran Khan’s vote for Senate polls was also rejected?09:04 PM | 3 Mar, 2021
- ‘Aik Qaum, Aik Manzil’ – ISPR releases teaser for Pakistan Day ...08:18 PM | 3 Mar, 2021
- PTI govt to lose Abdul Hafeez Shaikh as Pakistan's finance minister ...07:52 PM | 3 Mar, 2021
- Qatari military commander calls on Pakistan Army chief at GHQ07:44 PM | 3 Mar, 2021
- Nauheed Cyrusi recreates Piya Basanti as the famous track turns 2007:00 PM | 3 Mar, 2021
- Birthday girl Shraddha Kapoor shows her dance moves at beach party06:13 PM | 3 Mar, 2021
- Anurag Kashyap and Taapsee Pannu face raids over 'tax evasion'05:14 PM | 3 Mar, 2021
- 10 celebrities who are left-handed05:11 PM | 28 Feb, 2021
- Pakistan up three places to 105th spot in EIU's 2020 Democracy Index11:13 AM | 7 Feb, 2021
- 5 famous personalities who were banned from social media06:51 PM | 3 Feb, 2021
- Hollywood's top female celebs who lift weights to stay fit02:36 PM | 22 Jan, 2021