T20 World Cup 2021: Australia beat South Africa by five wickets in T20 World Cup Super 12 opener
DUBAI - Australia beat South Africa by five wickets at Sheikh Zayed Stadium in Abu Dhabi on Saturday in a nail-biting clash.
They chased down the total of 119 for the loss of five wickets in the final over with Marcus Stoinis hitting eight off Dwaine Pretorius s final over.
Josh Hazlewood led an inspired bowling effort that restricted South Africa to 118 for nine in the opening match of the Super 12s at the Twenty20 World Cup.
South Africa lost their top three batsmen, including skipper Temba Bavuma, with a score of 23 after being invited to bat first in Abu Dhabi.
Glenn Maxwell, an off-spinner who shared the new ball with Starc, bowled Bavuma for 12 and Hazlewood struck twice in his first two overs and finished with figures of 2-19 from his four.
Number four Aiden Markram played a lone hand with his 40 off 36 deliveries before falling to Mitchell Starc.
Markram kept losing partners with Heinrich Klaasen and David Miller departing for 13 and 16.
Australia: Aaron Finch (capt), David Warner, Mitchell Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Steve Smith, Marcus Stoinis, Matthew Wade (wk), Pat Cummins, Mitchell Starc, Adam Zampa, Josh Hazlewood
South Africa: Temba Bavuma (capt), Quinton de Kock (wk), Aiden Markram, Rassie van der Dussen, David Miller, Heinrich Klaasen, Dwaine Pretorius, Kagiso Rabada, Keshav Maharaj, Anrich Nortje, Tabraiz Shamsi
- SnackVideo and PUBG Hashtag Challenge was a Brilliant Success10:42 AM | 9 Dec, 2021
- LHC acquits blasphemy convict after 11 years in jail10:26 AM | 9 Dec, 2021
- Pakistan reports first confirmed case of new coronavirus variant ...09:58 AM | 9 Dec, 2021
- Pakistan's active COVID cases drop below 10,000 after one year09:26 AM | 9 Dec, 2021
- Pakistani stars condemn Faisalabad incident08:42 PM | 8 Dec, 2021
- Pakistani filmmaker Samar Khan's 'Out Swing' wins at Sport Film ...05:30 PM | 8 Dec, 2021
- Kareena Kapoor and Aryan Khan among most searched celebrities in India03:00 PM | 8 Dec, 2021