Donald Trump re-announces constructing border wall between US and Mexico
On Wednesday Trump tweeted: "Big day planned on national security tomorrow. Among many other things, we will build the wall!"
Big day planned on NATIONAL SECURITY tomorrow. Among many other things, we will build the wall!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 25, 2017
They are likely to include the "extreme vetting" of people coming from seven predominantly Muslim countries in the Middle East and Africa. This would restrict refugee access.
Building a 2,000-mile wall along the Mexican border was one of his key proposals during the presidential election campaign. He had also said Mexico would pay for the wall, which he said would cost about $8bn (£6.4bn).
Trump has since said the US would recoup the costs from its neighbor at a later date.
There will also be measures that force so-called sanctuary cities in the US to co-operate with the authorities on deporting illegal immigrants. "Sanctuary cities" are places that don't arrest or detain immigrants living in the country illegally.
The border with Mexico is roughly 1,900 miles long and spans fours US states: California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas. In comparison, the Berlin Wall was 96 miles while the Great Wall of China is 13,000 miles long.
There is already roughly 700 miles of fence along the border - the remainder is either open, nearly impossible to actually build on or impassable.
- Martyred PIA pilot’s father questions credibility of plane crash ...08:35 PM | 25 May, 2020
- Two kids drown in River Chenab08:02 PM | 25 May, 2020
- Predatory cop shoots teen boy dead in Kasur on Eid07:24 PM | 25 May, 2020
- Lahore temperature hits 44°C on second day of Eid07:04 PM | 25 May, 2020
- PML-N’s Nehal Hashmi tests positive for COVID-1906:59 PM | 25 May, 2020
- How much does Ahmed Shah earn from Fahad Mustafa’s Jeeto Pakistan?08:41 PM | 23 May, 2020
- Zara Abid presumed dead, not amongst the survivors of PIA plane crash05:13 PM | 23 May, 2020
- Netflix announces Élite season 4 with returning cast members04:07 PM | 23 May, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020