Dr Shakil Afridi shifted to Sahiwal jail from Adiala
Afridi, who was jailed for 33 years in May 2012 after he was convicted of ties to militants, was shifted to Sahiwal jail in strict security, local media reported.
This is the second such switch this year. Dr Afridi had been imprisoned at Peshawar Jail before he was shifted in April 2018 to Adiala Jail.
Earlier, it emerged on media that Washington had offered Islamabad to exchange Shakeel Afridi for Pakistani scientist Aafia Siddiqui who is serving a jail term in the United States.
The CIA failed to conduct an operation to stage a prison break for Pakistani physician Shakeel Afridi who had helped the US authorities track down founder of al-Qaeda, Osama bin Laden.
Soon after the death of Osama bin Laden in May 2011, the US media reported that Afridi had contributed to the success of the CIA operation by collecting DNA samples of bin Laden’s family by order of the intelligence agency. Then-CIA Director Leon Panetta and then-US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton had confirmed the doctor’s role in eliminating the terrorist, after which Afridi was arrested by Pakistani authorities.
- HSY, Feroze Khan discuss initiatives to combat harassment on Live ...08:18 PM | 30 Sep, 2020
- Northern’s Haider Ali trends on Twitter after blasting batting in ...06:42 PM | 30 Sep, 2020
- Indian national held for crossing into Pakistan illegally, booked ...05:55 PM | 30 Sep, 2020
- Vice Admiral Amjad Niazi appointed new Pakistan Navy chief05:33 PM | 30 Sep, 2020
- Super well made: Anoushey Ashraf can’t stop praising ...04:35 PM | 30 Sep, 2020
- The fault is not in our laws, our mindset needs to change: Mehwish ...02:59 PM | 30 Sep, 2020
- Rhea Chakraborty 'an active member of a drug syndicate:' NCB02:26 PM | 30 Sep, 2020
- Pakistan terms Kashmir, Palestine disputes as UN's most long-standing ...11:18 AM | 22 Sep, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020