Strong 8.0-magnitude earthquake hits Peru
There were no immediate reports of injuries following the quake which the US Geological Survey said struck at a depth of 110 kilometres (68 miles).
The quake hit t 0741 GMT about 75 kilometres southeast of the town of Lagunas, along the Amazon basin near the border with Brazil.
"Some casualties and damage are possible and the impact should be relatively localized," USGS said in a preliminary assessment.
Quakes of similar depth "typically cause less damage on the ground surface (but)... may be felt at a great distance from their epicentres," it later added.
The tremors were felt in northern and central Peru, including the capital Lima, where terrified residents ran out of their homes.
- Shahbaz Gill sexually abused in police custody, says Imran Khan06:54 PM | 19 Aug, 2022
- Pakistan ranks second worst on gender inequality10:55 PM | 13 Jul, 2022
- Pakistani celebrities who are performing Hajj 202210:16 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Films releasing in Pakistan on Eidul Adha 202211:51 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Pakistan’s largest city Karachi still among world’s least ...06:26 PM | 23 Jun, 2022