Shawala Teja Singh: 1000-year-old Hindu temple reopens in Sialkot after 7 decades
Evacuee Trust Properties Board (ETPB) Chairman Dr Aamer Ahmed was among 200 people who attended the inaugural ceremony of Shawala Teja Singh Temple, located on Circular Road in Sialkot , on Friday night.
Members of the Hindu community had long been demanding for the temple to be opened. Therefore, Prime Minister Imran Khan recently directed the EPTB to facilitate the temple's reopening.
Made of granite and sandstone, the temple sits high on a sand dune in a congested, residential neighbourhood. Over the years, the temple has fallen prey to neglect as a result of which the intricate carvings on the thick outside pillars have long faded or been scrubbed off by drug addicts. The sacred idols of Lord Shiva in the building have also been stolen or destroyed.
A boundary wall has been constructed to mark the perimeters of the building. Doors have also been refitted near the prayer room.
Pakistani officials, however, say that complete restoration would take up to five years, for which UNESCO and the Karachi-based Aga Khan Foundation have been taken on board.
Pakistan to open abandoned Sikh gurdwara for ... 08:30 PM | 26 Jul, 2019
LAHORE – After centuries, the doors of one of the holiest and sacred temples from 1834 would be opened for Sikh in ...
- Govt to spend more than Rs30b on higher education this year, says ...11:57 PM | 6 Dec, 2019
- Justice (retd) Altaf Ibrahim takes oath as acting ECP chief06:15 PM | 6 Dec, 2019
- Humayun Saeed shares an all smile picture with brothers01:39 PM | 6 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019
- Azadi March: Chaudhry brothers active for compromise talks as Fazl ...12:08 AM | 5 Nov, 2019
- 8 Reasons to buy HONOR 8 Series04:49 PM | 23 Oct, 2019
- Meet members of Pakistan’s first-ever National Youth Council05:05 PM | 1 Jul, 2019