Modi secures $2.5 billion for electrifying every home in India
Modi announced the program's funding and goals on Monday. The effort, called Saubhagya, promises to extend last-mile power connections to villages without electricity, of which there are nearly 3,000. The program will deliver free or low-cost electricity to poor and rural households.
Roughly one quarter of India's population, about 304 million people, live without access to electricity.
Modi and his policy advisors hope the program will reduce the use of kerosene lamps in homes, a common cause of fire and indoor air pollution.
Power Minister R. K. Singh said the government aims to electrify all houses in India by March 2019.
"In the working of this government, all you can see is Garib Kalyan [welfare of the poor]," Modi said. "The aspirations of the poor determine the working of our government."
Modi said government grants would provide the majority of funding for the program, with bank loans and state funds accounting for the rest.
Policy makers hope Saubhagya and other power industry reforms will boost India's economy, which has experienced slowed growth over the last year.
It is likely Modi also has his eyes set on political gains.
- Sindh Governor Ismail donates plasma for COVID-19 patients10:14 PM | 5 Jun, 2020
- PCB central contract — Bisma retains Pakistan captaincy, head coach ...09:17 PM | 5 Jun, 2020
- PM stresses anti-coronavirus SOPs to avert tough times08:48 PM | 5 Jun, 2020
- Kanye West donates $2 million, establishes college fund for George ...08:24 PM | 5 Jun, 2020
- 'I was raped by Rehman Mailk,' alleges US blogger Cynthia D Ritchie ...07:54 PM | 5 Jun, 2020
- Meghan Markle speaks out about ‘Black Lives Matter’07:17 PM | 5 Jun, 2020
- Naveed Raza urges people to stop denying the existence of coronavirus06:51 PM | 5 Jun, 2020
- Kylie Jenner tops Forbes' list of the highest-paid celebrities in the ...03:37 PM | 5 Jun, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020