US congresswoman calls for de-escalation, restoration of communication in occupied Kashmir
WASHINGTON - United States congresswoman Ilhan Omar called for de-escalation and an "immediate restoration of communication" in occupied Kashmir on Tuesday.
In a tweet, Ilhan Omar stressed that international organizations should be allowed to fully document what is happening on the ground.
We should be calling for an immediate restoration of communication; respect for human rights, democratic norms, and religious freedom; and de-escalation in Kashmir.— Ilhan Omar (@IlhanMN) August 26, 2019
International organizations should be allowed to fully document what is happening on the ground.
The tweet comes a day after a meeting between US President Donald Trump and Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi in France.
US President Donald Trump had earlier offered to mediate on Kashmir , however, he apparently backtracked on his offer as he held a meeting with Modi on the sidelines of a G7 summit.
"We spoke last night about Kashmir , prime minister really feels he has it under control. They speak with Pakistan and I'm sure that they will be able to do something that will be very good," the US president had told reporters.
The Indian government also imposed a strict lockdown and communications blackout in the region which has entered 23rd day today (Tuesday).
- PTI govt opens process for privatisation of public entities09:55 PM | 29 Jan, 2020
- ATC acquits 40 accused in Youhanabad lynching cases09:09 PM | 29 Jan, 2020
- Zameen.com ready to hold Karachi Expo on February 1 and 208:18 PM | 29 Jan, 2020
- Ufone felicitates KPC’s new leadership08:12 PM | 29 Jan, 2020
- 'Anti-state' Facebook posts: Lahore journalist's bail plea rejected07:54 PM | 29 Jan, 2020
- Priyanka Chopra in final talks to join The Matrix 403:19 PM | 29 Jan, 2020
- Humayun Saeed thanks fans for showering love on MPTH's team02:49 PM | 29 Jan, 2020
- Shah Rukh Khan's Pakistani cousin passes away in Peshawar02:15 PM | 29 Jan, 2020
- OGRA recommends hike in petroleum prices for January 202006:54 PM | 30 Dec, 2019
- Pakistan asks UNMOGIP to brief UNSC on Kashmir situation07:21 PM | 29 Dec, 2019
- 2020 will be year of development, prosperity: Firdous04:01 PM | 28 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019